Dog fight

carmen

People that do not respect leash laws should not have dogs in the first place, it's not like we make these laws just for the fun of it. I doubt I would attempt to separate two cats other than the water trick too, our outside kitty is very protective of our property.

campclose

I agree with others here - your friend was in the right. You should always have your dog on a leash when out in public. It's too bad that the small dog wasn't on a leash. The owner could have pulled the dog back and no harm would have been done.

ejdixon

Actually; both were in the wrong. The small dog owner no control/no lead. your friend because s/he knew the dog could be agressive if the dog felt the pack was in danger (that dog also was not under control.)
Interesting point, mccallum. But of course, there is also the way on how the smaller dog approached. Personally, I think that saying the dog on the leash was not under control is a bit presumptuous. Animals, by nature, have this some sort of instinct to tell whether there is a threat or not. It could be that the dog on the leash sensed that, which is why it reacted that way. We can only guess.

mccallum

Interesting point, mccallum. But of course, there is also the way on how the smaller dog approached. Personally, I think that saying the dog on the leash was not under control is a bit presumptuous. Animals, by nature, have this some sort of instinct to tell whether there is a threat or not. It could be that the dog on the leash sensed that, which is why it reacted that way. We can only guess.
While yes Iwas making a guess. My actual statement was that BOTH OWNERS were at fault; the off lead owner for not being in control of the dog and the leashed owner for the same thing especially because the owner of the leassed dog knew that her dog was protective of them. If my dog is dog agressive when I am approached by another dog then I need to have greater control of that dog.

Now, after an experience with a dog at my son's ball game the other day I wonder even more about this encounter. Here is what happened; I ask if the dog was ok with people the girl holding the lead said "yes, the dog is fine with people." As I approached the dog did the sniff test and I passed. I was making friend andthe dog chose to jump up (non agressive action of a young large dog) and I did what I would always do said "No" and was moving the dog off of my body; when the young lady pulled the leash hard back to her; at which point the dog went into protection/fear mode; barking and growling at me. Before that the dog was enjoying the head and neck rub I was giving and was ok with being removed from my body. I also knew the dog had been engaugeing in the bark and growl stuff with some teens so I was watching for agressive intent on the dog's part. This makes me wonder if the OP's friend did anything (by the way the young lady had no idea she had caused the dog's behavior) to cue the dog. Again this is a wondering thing on my part.

oldsarge

Any idiot knows not to approach a leashed dog with out first asking the owner if it's okay. If you do pull a bone head move and attempt to get in close and get bit, it serves you right. It's not the dogs fault, he's doing what come naturally. No matter how well trained, an animal can act out at any time. I've had dogs nip at me while I was petting them after the owners assured me it was okay to do so.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Good post, Sarge! A dog is not an ornament or a piece of furniture, and it cannot be programmed like a computer. All dogs bite and if an owner lets his or her dog run loose, they are asking for trouble.

Also, exactly how do you keep your dog under control when another dog is attacking it? Both owners were not at fault. Your best bet is to take up the slack in the leash until it becomes obvious that the other dog is not going to back off. Then give your dog the slack so he can defend himself. The only other way is to kill the other dog

uday

I've seen a lot of dog fights in the street and those canines are mostly stray ones. We avoid them at any rate just to be safe. But it's too sad to see them without owners, food and shelter.

TroyS

I'm also thinking it might be the way how we approach the dog if the owner does tell us that it's okay. I'm just guessing here, but there are some dogs that when we try to pet them quickly, they still view it as a threat. Some dogs would still want that they make the first move and come to you rather than you going up to them.