Dog Gone It

Jane

I am not against people taking their dogs with them on the trail. There have been many times I would have loved to had a dog to pull me up the impossible hill. But, it does bother me when they are running free and the owners let the dogs come right up to my kids. I don't know how to react. I don't want to be rude, but we are talking about the safety of my children. Are not the leash laws in effect on the trail, as well?

justontime

Irresponsible dog owners spoil it foe everyone, if you take your dog with you it should be under your control at all times. A large dog bounding up to other people could cause an accident as well as frightening those who are not confident with dogs.

atula

I think the owners do not really realsie how they put stranger into a troublsome spot when their dog is around and roaming that freely. I am a dog lover myself but surely would not want any dog coming near my kid...If I know about his traits well and good but not just any strange dog.

Taggart

I think many people haven't had real problems with their dogs, and assume they're safe and don't worry about them getting close to other people... Until there's an incident.

I'll bet sometimes they may not know that there are other people on the trail if it curves and has hills and they can't see them. Still I agree they should be responsible for their dogs.

Katydid

Besides it being quite a tense situation for the person or people the dog is bounding up on, it can also be unsafe for the dog as well. Dog owners should always be in control of their dog. A trail is not the place to let you dog off its leash.

atula

I think it also has to do with the trail itself..the dog too wants to be out of its bounds for sometime and get a chance to roam freely..what I think can be done is to tie a longer leash maybe...a simple trick that can save trouble with other travelers.

campclose

Wow, I would think there is some sort of rule that you must keep your dogs on leashes or at least keep track of them. Trails get busy and dogs should not be out running around during busy times. I understand about the safety of your children.
I would have no problem with people taking the dogs out early in the morning or off-peak times to let them run and get exercise.
Where are the trails you are talking about?

justontime

I don't usually take my dog if I am walking on the coast path or trails, but whenever I take her out in the countryside I have her on one of those retractable leads . She is well behaved but there are still times when you want instant control.

failghe

I use a retractable leash when walking my dog. Except when we are out where the trail dead ends and we are heading back and nobody is around. First sight or sound of others he is back on the leash. When getting past other people or dogs I make sure he is sitting waiting for them to pass. Sometimes children come running right up to us, but before they get there I always ask the adults if it is OK if they can pet Lucky Dog. Some say OK others say no, it is alright with me either way. Better to be safe than sorry.

kernow

Failghe makes a good point, children should be kept under control too for their own safety, and the parents should make sure that children know that they should never run up to pet a dog without asking permission first.

jason

fear no beer
A lot of the local parks have a law that require them to be on a leash. It is not enforced much though, in fact I have never seen it enforced. Failghe does make a good point. Sometimes it is hard to control either pet or child sometimes.

Southern

Most dogs I have encountered on the trail and in camps have been well behaved, and leashed. It seems that the only dogs that are not well behaved are those that are unleashed - irresponsible owners raising misbehaving dogs.

justontime

Most dogs I have encountered on the trail and in camps have been well behaved, and leashed. It seems that the only dogs that are not well behaved are those that are unleashed - irresponsible owners raising misbehaving dogs.
That is true, unfortunately the irresponsible few spoil it for everyone. I have also seen irresponsible parents who risk the safety of their children and other walkers by letting them run riot. I have even seen people allow their kids to ride bikes on a coast path. In places one wobble would cause them to fall over the cliff edge into the sea or on to the rocks!

kernow

Justontime, I have seen that too, it is astounding and incredibly dangerous, not only to the children but to other walkers.

Paige

Oh geez! To let either species run around without control invites a disaster. I wouldn't let MY children out in potentially dangerous situations by themselves and certainly wouldn't let them ride bikes in an areas as unsafe as that. As far as the dogs are concerned, even the most well behaved dog is apt to react to a "threat" such as a screaming child or one who flings him/herself around the dog's neck. You can't explain to a dog about how children act. I would always keep my dog leashed or at least in an area where there are no other campers or where we were completely isolated.

justontime

I agree Paige, my dog is placid and friendly, but you never know with dogs and you should never take risks.