Dratted Horse!

RoughRider

I went riding this last weekend and my favorite horse must have had something against me. We were trail riding and I got off to give him a break. We were going to take an hour or so break so I took off his saddle and his blanket. When I went to put the saddle back on him after cooling down, he stepped over, placed his foot on my foot and torqued it around!!! I said a few choice words and tried to push him off but he wouldn't budge. My buddy had to come and lead him off. I don't know if he intended to do that or not but we had to end our ride and go back to the vehicles and horse trailer. I went to the ER because my foot was hurting and swelling so bad (I had remembered to take the boot off though). Turns out the old boy broke three bones in my foot and tore a ligament loose. I'm out for the count at least for 8 weeks and I can't put any weight on my foot for all of that time. So I guess trail riding, walking or outdoor activities are severely curtailed for me for a while. Dratted horse. :(

Grady

Wow, that really stinks, RoughRider. Eight weeks is pretty much all we have left of summer. Ugh. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't do it on purpose, unless he has a history of spiteful behavior. I'm guessing not since you said he's your favorite.

Make sure you follow doctor's orders and rest up so your foot heals properly and you can get back at it asap.

campclose

Ouch! Poor you! I wonder why he did that. Maybe he was just mad at you, or maybe he was tired and didn't realize it. I hope that your foot heals quickly, there are a lot of little bones in there.

EyeOfThePark

Sorry to hear about that, RoughRider. Hopefully, your injury has healed quickly. One of my neighbors passed through a similar experience at his seconds riding lesson. The horse was in a bad mood that day and got agitated, so he violently stepped on my neighbor's foot and broke all his metatarsals. Needless to say, he gave up the idea of learning to ride.

JollyRogers

Been there brother. As a kid, I don't think there is a bone in either foot that didn't get broken by a horse, not to mention dislocated shoulders, kicked in the spine, bitten, rolled on, etc., etc. My folks had a ranch and we boarded, raced and showed ponies, quarter horses & thoroughbreds.

It is easy to forget how big and powerful a horse can be because they allow us to exert some measure of control over them. Even when they aren't trying they can do serious damage.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If I had a nickel for every time a horse stepped on my foot, I'd have a few nickels. I'm sure the horse didn't do it on purpose. At least it wasn't trying to injure you. But horses do have a sense of humor and they'll do some things for amusement.

Heal up and get back in the saddle as soon as you can. Make the horse do your walking for you.

CozInCowtown

If I had a nickel for every time a horse stepped on my foot, I'd have a few nickels. I'm sure the horse didn't do it on purpose. At least it wasn't trying to injure you. But horses do have a sense of humor and they'll do some things for amusement.

Heal up and get back in the saddle as soon as you can. Make the horse do your walking for you.
+1
Especially an old horse and a new rider, allways good for a youtube moment!
Better yet, a pack mule and a teenage daughter.....Blaahaaahaaahaaa!!
DC

outwest

Accidents can always happen but just remember that the horse is bigger than you are and most times they know it too. :)

I once managed to twist my ankle before a riding weekend we had planned and lucky for me. It seems all horses at the camp that weekend were in a foul mood and something similar happened with a friend of mine.

Camoguy

That's not a good thing. Sorry you're in so much pain. When I was a boy, we used to have an old horse that would start leaning on you when you were saddling him. I always had to stick my knee in his belly a few times to get him to stop.

LittleLady

Ow, that just sounds like torture. I'm sorry you are forced to take the summer off! Hope you're starting to feel a little better now though.

LOL! Just saw this was almost a year old, I'd imagine you're healed ;)

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
This is why I avoid horses, they're big and not the brightest bulb in the pack.
I'm not very horse educated but reacting to something crushing my foot I probably would have done what you did, try to push him off, if that didn't work he probably would have gotten a jab to the nose from a left hook.

Least you're still alive, godspeed with the recovery!