Drinking around campfire?

CBatch

How many people actually drink around the campfire? I have seen some pretty rowdy campers that are pretty much drunk and they are trying to cook on the campfire. I never get this way as I have kids with me when I camp and I would not anyway.

hydethebeef

I do not mind having a glass or two of wine but I try my best to never really drink too much around the camp fire. I would be to afraid to get tipsy and end up in the fire and that would be very bad. But a couple glasses and I am fine.

Gracy

Been there done that! hahah Haven't been "waisted" around a campfire in a few years..... I really try and watch it around the kids... someone has to be responsible so DH and I take turns... we do that a parties anyway unless we are kid free for the night.... THEN THE PARTY IS ON!!! hahaha

Michael

I'll have the occasional drink around the camp fire. I don't have enough to get drunk or rowdy, but just enough to get a little buzz.

The last time I went camping, we brought a little flask of rum. Two people split it. The flask was probably enough to fit four or five shots, and we drank it over the course of about an hour. So we had about two drinks each over that hour, which really isn't that much with how much food we'd eaten.

I know some people who get blitzed when they go camping. I don't really see the fun in that. I can only assume it makes sunrise sort of terrible the next morning.

campmaster

My kids are grown and gone. I like to have few road pops while tending the fire after dinner. Also there is something about watching the smoke come from a smoker all afternoon with a brews too.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If there is a campfire and a group of guys, I have been known to have a few beers. If there are small children in the campsite, the answer is "Hell, NO!"

However, if there are no small children around, you are out in the middle of nowhere, what's the problem?

Stoker

As long as you're being responsible about it, I don't see the problem. Kids will be kids though, so you have to kind of expect the 20 something crowd to be rowdier than the rest. We've all been there.

faye

I'm not a heavy alcoholic drinker. If our companions are old enough to drink, I can only handle two or three shots and that's it. If there are kids around, no alcoholic drink for me.

limaker

Yes & no and I only say that as we have a strict rule in place that if kids are around there is no heavy stuff going on and if there are no kids around then we always have a DD. Its rate though, I would say maybe 1 in 8 times we might have a night cap.

DunandAway

I used to have a drink or two around the fire in the past but I no longer can drink because of some health issues. I don't see anything wrong with having a beer or two but getting completely drunk isn't very responsible. What if your fire were to get out of control or if a wild animal were to invade your space? I don't like to see it happen either but that's up to everyone else. I don't regulate their behavior.

ultimatesurvivor

I never drink, I like to have a clear head, but I have been with a few people who thought they could handle their liquor better. What we learned is never let the guy who is out of it near anything sharp, especially axes.

HikingGuy

When I was younger, we went camping and we were having some drinks around the campfire and a full, capped bottle of beer got tossed into the fire, my friend nearly lost an eye so I will only have a drink or two around the fire, not enough to be inebriated and I will not put bottles around it at all.

evergreen

I generally travel with people who don't get woozy from a couple of beers so I personally never had problems caused by drinking and camping.

bokz

When I was younger, we went camping and we were having some drinks around the campfire and a full, capped bottle of beer got tossed into the fire, my friend nearly lost an eye so I will only have a drink or two around the fire, not enough to be inebriated and I will not put bottles around it at all.
I have to be careful drinking at the camp fire. This sounds dangerous when people are drunk, they may become careless depending on the situation.

Velvetfish

When backpacking 12 miles from the trailhead in the middle of nowhere, having carried everything, with no refrigerator for miles:
We are also camping where no fire is allowed, just stoves.

Desperate Margirrrritas
In a liter container mix:
3 lemon crystal lights
4/5 a liter of water
1/5 a liter of tequilla
1/3 of the contents of a plastic lime
shake
chill in the ocean (or stream)

or

Desperate Hot Toddies
3 capfulls of rum
one lemon crystal light
1.5 cups of hot water
a dash of cinnamon

mikekat

I was up hunting in the 70's and we were sitting around the campfire drinking, some of us beer and others, Yukon Jack. I and another guy were the last ones up and I went to bed. About and hour later, we woke up to screaming and discovered him in the fire, took him 35 miles to the nearest hospital where he was treated for 3rd degree burns an 1/2 of his back. He was in the hospital for several months and was another year recovering. It ain't worth getting wasted around the fire!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I certainly don't have anything against drinking. However, I don't do it with people who's IQ drops ten points with every drink they take. If someone is going to be stupid enough to injure themself, I figure they probably deserve it. That's not the one that bothers me. On my land I have two rules. If you are going to drink around the campfire, you have to put your unloaded weapons in your trunk. The second rule is if you start a heated argument, you leave. Anyone who's ever done this hasn't been back.

le Metis

When I'm guiding either adults, or a youth group then I avoid drinking. It's not professional. However, out on my own, and at the end of the day, a small glass of sherry, or maderia is a nice way to end the day....

Mysty1

Usually by the time anyone might be drunk is later in the evening when their sitting around playing cards but most of the night they have been eating too so it's rarely a problem.