Drinking around campfire?

Jade

Booze and the boonies don't mix, no pun intended.

I take a premixed 2 liter bottle of gin'n'tonic with a citrus twist with me: it's insect repellent that you drink. If I find anything that works better, I'll stop doing it.

I have also never gone over the "one a day" theory: I hate gin'n'tonic almost as much as I hate having a hangover.

AK Hunter

A few beers around the camp fire is not a problem, the one thing that causes a problem is using a entertainment type fire to cook on. You don't use a large fire to cook on, you use the large fire to make hot coals to move to a different spot to cook over. All cooking should be done and cleaned up before dark, long before a big fire is necessary.

td_porter

Know your limitations...i think it's okay to have a few around the fire. However I'd bet you'd feel really bad if you stumbled over a child because you didn't see them sitting there, or even worse knocking them into the fire, due to loss of coordination while being sloppy drunk.

Snaggerman

We camp in in great campground only 40 miles away. There are rules in place against drinking in the park,but are NOT enforced if the parties involved do not cause problems for the staff or other campers. This policy seems to be very effective. I have raised my children in this park and we have family camp every year. This one of the top ten camp grounds in America,and is absolutely beautiful! And yes we do have some cocktails...discreetly.

themaj01

A good beer and campfire with friends is the best time ever,and some rock&roll.but just keep it down low.

fritz01

Many times while camping at deer camp or at the lake I have encountered people who drink too much. they say they are trying to "unwind" but they make it unsettling for other people. They get loud or turn their music up loud and their is no way to relax. At deer camp we are in the middle of the booneys and it is quiet and peaceful is'nt that unwinding enough. I think it is okay for them to drink as long as it doesn,t effect other people.
I don't myself mainly because my dad died while drinking ,he fell and hit his head, My little brother drowned in a hot tub while drinking . but I think its okay in moderation.

ChadTower

being sloppy drunk.

That's the problem right there. People shouldn't really be getting sloppy drunk in any circumstance - it's not fun anymore at that point. I don't see any issue with a couple adults responsibly having a couple drinks. That said in MA alcohol is not allowed in state park campgrounds. Enforcement is very hit or miss.

I go most often these days with my two sons and sometimes my wife. The problem we seem to have is we always end up next to the site where 15 people gather and drink until 3am. Then someone stumbles up hung over at 5:30 to walk their dogs, loses the dogs, and the dogs end up running circles around our tent (yes, this is a real example).

So, really, my point is that it's fine to drink if you're not stupid about it and can drink without destroying the evening for everybody around you. Just because you love to stay up until 2am with your extended family doesn't mean the people on the next site do.

twodogs

steven randall
I Was Camping in north Michigan with a freind of mine about 20 yrs ago . He like to drink beer and most of the time he could keep him self under control . but one night he started drinking Rocket fuel (hard Stuff) along with the beer he been drinking all day . I left Camp for awhile, well some time during the night he rolled through the fire , When I came back I looked at a wooden chair by the tent and something was smoldering on it, Im looking at it trying to figure out what was going on . Come to find out the gob smoldering was his billfold . he had caught his new jeans on fire and had taken them off and went to bed , all that was left was a shell of his billfold with all the money burned up, $200 or so . We all had good laugh the next morning . But we never went back there camping. Moral of the story dont get drunk and roll through fires .

JDSport

I have a few drinks when I am camping, but it is always after the kids are in their sleeping bags for the night and I don't over indulge myself either. I am responsible about it and keep the peace as drinking a couple of beers is not harmful and will not get me into a drunken stooper as some of my buddies.

Lorax

I'll take a small nalgene with something special in it out of traditions sake and toast a sunset. Just being out there is good enough. Beer is too heavy to haul in on most of my trips anyway.

But usually a few ounces of Jim Beam Black, Yukon Jack or Wild Turkey American Honey make it into my pack for some easy sippin' long after dinner is cleaned up.