Dumbest thing you've ever done while camping?

TroyS

Went on my first camping trip without the parents and forgot the diesel fuel to start fire. But not the coleman lantern fluid and i thought what the heck gas is gas right???????? well a few singed hairs and almost a forest fire later i figured out i was wrong. now I use charcoal lighting fluid much more safer lol
I've actually learned the hard way that using some fluid can be very tricky when it comes to starting a camp fire. You might find this article on How to Safely Build a Campfire helpful. It's definitely a lot more work, but at least you don't have to worry about causing a forest fire. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Hikenhunter

While hiking the Loyalsock trail one time I was following a part of the trail that followed an old logging road. At one point the trail veered right slightly then parralled the road a short distance before crossing a creek and heading up the mountain. Problem was I followed that road for a long time before I realized that there were no trail markers on the road anymore. Upon reaching the top of the mountain the road just simply stopped and that is when a bit of panic set in. Day light was getting short and I was meeting people at my next camping spot and I didn't want them worrying or sending out a search party to look for me. I realized I had come about five mies in the wrong direction and to back track 5 miles then flow the trail was going to get me very late and my friends very anxious so I decided to use my compass skills and bushwack my way from this mountain top to the one I should have been on. Several hours later and just after sunset I bumped into some of my friends who had started backtracking on the trail to see if I was having problems. Another hour or so and they were going to drive to the ranger station to report me missing. Lesson learned: Always check and recheck your trail markers and your map cause you just never know.