educate the youth

calanta

I am always sad to hear of accidents that happen with kids during the hunting season, no matter what season it is. Are parents not teaching their kids enough or are they just not caring anymore?

danny28

I believe that ALL kids need to take the hunters safety course and then the parents or dad needs to go over everything again with the child. I hate hearing stories about kids and hunting accidents. I don't really think the hunters safety course is enough when you consider kids and guns.

Greatoutdoors

If you are going to have guns and kids then they need to be educated about gun safety whether they are going to hunt or not. My two year old can tell if the safety is on one of our guns or not. She also knows not to touch them without Mommy or Daddy, and we take precautions against this in case curiousity gets the better of her.

hippieP

Education tends to lack in all sorts of areas now, with schooling systems in general, with parents who allow their kids to do whatever they want. Even more are those parents here that we talk about who think their kid is "mature enough" to do something like hunting which is a seriously dangerous hobby.

JimBob

I am always sad to hear of accidents that happen with kids during the hunting season, no matter what season it is. Are parents not teaching their kids enough or are they just not caring anymore?
I think it can be a combination of both calanta. I think in most situations the parents do care though, but the kid just hasn't been taught the discipline to handle a gun with the proper safety. It is a sad situation to hear about.

Grandpa

Hunter safety courses are a good final exam, but the real education has to start at home, long before they actually begin hunting. That means the parents have to teach by good example, something some parents have difficulty with in this day and age.

Last edited:

outwest

There is a reason they have courses like Grandpa is talking about here, by trained professionals. I am not even saying that all parent taught kids are learning bad but sometimes they do and when it comes to your kids, why chance it?

paloma

Giving lectures is not enough for the kids to learn. They are naturally curious. Examples and experience are the best teachers, which the kids should get from home, not anywhere else.