Endurance

Tristan

When you talk about mountain biking, there are so many different kinds and terrains. What do you think is the most challenging? I know that biking downhill is really popular, but cross-country cycling appeals to me. I like something that tests your endurance, but lets you pace yourself a little more.

DMan

We aren't serious or competitive bikers but in the past we've taken a few long challenging rides. The combination of distance, along with some up and down, as well as some on and off road riding tested our endurance. Not sure if that's what you mean or not?

Tristan

I'm not into competitions either. I'm more of a "personal best" kind of person. But mostly I just like the satisfaction of having made the journey. Downhill trails are much more difficult, and cross-country is mainly about endurance. I guess each challenge is unique, but cross-cycling is more my style.

Dude

I know a couple of competitive riders, their races look fun! I was surprised by the number of them that were downhill.

Personally, I like mountain biking a gradual up with obstacles (hopping over logs is the most enjoyable thing in the world, especially when you're exhausted...or not). If there's a ride down after that, I feel as though I've earned it.

limbs

I think the most challenging I ever did was in the Appalachian mountains. The downhill part was much easier than all the up hill parts. In all honestly, I don't think I had enough endurance because it left me pretty sore.