Equipped to survive.

energystuff

Yeah, my friend mentioned something about GPS maybe changing or going away? What's the deal there... I have a Garmin and really like it, trying to get it mounted in my car right now.

oldsarge

I heard that some other companys signal my interfere with GPS signals down the line sometime. For the life of me, I can't remember who it spoke of in the artilce. Also claims have been made that due to the Air Force not doing all it could to maintain the aging satelites, the system could shut down in 2010, so far so good. I couldn't see that GPS would be neglected being it is so important to our military, civilian aircraft, ships at sea and God forbid Geocachers...we wouldn't want to piss them off! I just don't see it happening.

ChadTower

I could easily see it being changed such that consumer devices no longer work, though. Probably wouldn't even be that hard to change the data stream or encrypt it.

WalkingMan

I don't like the idea that someone would be able to track me by my GPS in case of some type of emergency. I have thought about the idea of someone tracking my cell phone and finding me. I'm not any type of conspiracy theorist or anything, but I DO value my privacy.

oldsarge

I don't believe you are being tracked by the GPS since it is a receiver and doesn't transmit any signal. I'm speaking of dedicated hand held GPS devices. Your phone on the other hand is a different story. I too value my privacy but am not bothered by by being tracked in any way. I'm not breaking the law so it doesn't matter if any one knows where I'm at. Even cell phones that are triangulated on, only give a rough estimate to where you're at.

Judy Ann

I'm not breaking the law so it doesn't matter if any one knows where I'm at.
It sure is a different world from when we were kids and had phones with party lines that people could listen in on all our conversations (if they chose to). Just had to throw that in. ;-)

Thanks for the info oldsarge. Everytime I get ready to purchase a SPOT I read something that makes me rethink the investment for a few more weeks. Thank you also for your attention to detail on personal safety/security
and for sharing your knowledge. People like yourself who care enough to respond to questions or offer up help and advice are the reason why this site is so successful.

oldsarge

Every time I get ready to purchase a SPOT I read something that makes me rethink the investment for a few more weeks.
SPOT is a whole different story now, you can actually transmit with SPOT, reason being is that it IS used to tract your location and give your position with GPS accuracy. I don't own one But I think Refrigerator does and maybe he can give you more detail in it's abilities. If I spent more time in the wilderness I would definitely have one.

Also...thank you for your comments! I too truly enjoy this site, with all the expertise from skilled people. It's great to share information and experiences, so much is learned.

Grandpa

My family bought my SPOT for father's day one year and insist I carry it because I solo so much in the wilderness. I wouldn't go out without it anymore. Just too much peace of mind for both me and my family.

Grandpa

I think I mentioned in an earlier thread about SPOT. One morning, I turned it on to track without sending an "I'm okay" first. Luckily, I came out of the wilderness that day and on the drive home called grandma on the cell. Oopps me bad for not sending the okay. She had put on the worry cap and had my son-in-law and his brother loaded up to come find my carcass. I'll never forget to do that again.

Barney

Actually when it comes to survival the guy who founded the site is one of the pioneers talking on the subject of modern survival gear - Douglas S. Ritter.