Facilities on a boat

TakeAHike

We have a small boat without a cuddy cabin. Some days we might be out on it from sun up to sun down. I can't wait that long to use the facilities. What can we do to maybe add some sort of porta potty to the boat since we really don't have a private area on it?

wvbreamfisherman

Well if everyone is all cooperative, you can drop trow and hang over the stern and let fly whilst everyone else faces forward. (As long as the CG, DNR or whatever other alphabet soup agencies can fine/arrest you aren't around).

In warm water, just take a swim and take care of business there.

On the more serious side, you could take a porta-potti and rig a ring out of plastic pipe with a curtain to obtain a bit of privacy.

With the canoe or kayak, I just land and take a few steps back into the woods....

Cappy

We have a 5 gallon bucket and a king size sheet. Here its legal to dump it as long as you do not have a toilet. illegal in other areas though

GA_gal

TakeAHike - They actually make small port-a-potty containers that are just large enough to sit on and hold maybe 3 gallons of water. I bought one back in the day when I was working in construction and none of the job sites ever had toilets or running water. If I were you, I'd take one of those on the boat and tell everyone else to turn the heck around.

Cappy

It never freakin fails, Ya don't see another boat all day. Park ya tushy on a bucket and here comes a party barge full of picture taking tourist.

Grandpa

They make seats to fit a 5 gal bucket. Plastic bag in the bucket, seat. When finished, remove seat and put the lid back on until the next person needs it. They make kids that screw tight rather than the pound on pry off lids that come with the bucket,

Dannytoo

A poncho a 5 gal bucket with a lid and you are good to go. You can dump it at the dock if they have port-A-potties or wait till you get home.

GA_gal

TakeAHike - I've also used the setup that Grandpa mentioned, the seats made for 5 gallon buckets, on construction sites. Works equally as well as the mini port-a-potty I had. Also sits a little higher, which can be more comfy for taller folk. ;)

cabinfever

If it's just a bunch of guys, we hang it in the wind (sorry, ladies). But if we have any of the women along, we always head to shore once or twice. If we didn't, they'd kick our butts out of the boat and take it themselves.

TakeAHike

The hubby is lucky because he just hangs it over the side. It's a little more difficult for me to do that. Depending on where we go, swimming isn't an option and neither is going to shore. The river closest to our house is rocky and has lots of shallow areas so you really don't want to get out of the channel. When we go to the lake there are more options of course.

GA girl, that is what I think we are probably going to end up buying one of the smaller camp toilets. The boat doesn't have a whole lot of room but we could put it in the corner unless we need to use it. We thought about the bucket but then I would have to worry about showing people my business when I use it because the sides of the boat aren't real high.