Favorite Caves For Exploring

Stargazer

Do you have some favorite caves for exploring? Or an area of the country that you enjoy exploring caves in? I have explored mainly in southern Indiana and Kentucky.

mamabear

North Carolina has several famous caves. Linville Caverns comes to mind. That one has turned into a tourist attraction though. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable exploring an uncharted cave. I'd probably run into a bear. :)

RingTwist

I've only explored tourist attraction caves myself. I saw some neat ones in the Black Hills in South Dakota. I can't remember their names, though.

Stargazer

In southern Indiana around Corydon, we have some caves that you can explore with a guide that give you the true spelunking experience complete with headlamps and crawling through some tight spaces. I have toured some of the developed caves like Mammoth Caves and Ruby Falls but it's not quite the same.

ponderosa

The desert around here (eastern Idaho) is riddled with interesting lava tubes. And there are some nice limestone caves here and there as well.

campingmom

The best cave to explore in Ohio is Old Man's Cave at Hocking Hills State Park. There are some smaller caves in Northwest Ohio, but Old Man's Cave is the biggest and the best. My boys Boy Scout troop goes to the cave every year.