Field expedient tools.

Discussion in 'Wilderness Survival' started by oldsarge, Apr 27, 2012.

1. oldsarge

oldsarge Active Member

2. Judy Ann

Judy Ann Active Member

Uhh...... thanks Sarge. Probably will have most essential equipment on hand except this. Looks like someone had too much time on their hands. The trap was inventive as was the dart!
  3. CozInCowtown

CozInCowtown Moderator

Yup, when they find my bones it will be said over my dead carcass "See, if he had only had his tampons!"
    DC
  4. Pathfinder1

Pathfinder1 Active Member

Hi...

Very interesting...especially if you're a UL survivalist, minimalist, or dirt camper.

I prefer to fullfill those uses through other means, however.

Regarding the blowgun darts...where are you going to get a blowgun?
  5. Theo

Theo eyebp's mentor

You can also shape a slab of clear ice into a magnifying glass and start a fire.

It is a neat little parlor trick but I wouldn't recommend it for survival use. Same goes for the tampon. It is good to think outside the box but there are a lot of other things I can think of that would do those things way mo' better. I DON'T tote parlor tricks in the out of doors. A big waste of energy.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. Theo

Theo eyebp's mentor

The tampon tube, you idjit.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
  7. ChadTower

ChadTower Active Member

How many jokes can be made about outside the box tampon thinking?
  8. Pathfinder1

seven...!!
  9. Theo

Theo eyebp's mentor

Well, eight, if you include using the tampon tube as a blowgun.:bounce:
  10. Barney

Barney New Member

I bet Chuck Norris would find a few additional uses for it. :) I love how some people think and when some, at first glance, useless stuff, becomes a tool in their head.
  11. littlefire

littlefire New Member

I appreciate the innovation this person is trying to go for, but I'm sure you could find those supplies without resorting to using a tampon. However, if you already have one on hand, then go for it.
  12. ChadTower

ChadTower Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty much one of those "since you already need a couple of these in your kit, here are a few more uses" things.

I don't need a couple of these in my kit.
  13. oldsarge

oldsarge Active Member

Well it seems that everyone is focused on the whole Tampon issue here. Not what I was shooting for. The site is pretty good, I was hoping that the the topic of field expedient tools would have branched out to other items. I just posted the Tampon article since it is what was sent to me. I am in no way suggesting everyone to carry one.

The topic of field expedient tools refers to the use of any item for another use other than for what it was intended. I know we all prepare and have our kits, but what if you found yourself in a situation where you didn't have a particular item. What other items could be used to get you buy. Just trying to get the wheels turning here!
  14. hikeorbike

hikeorbike New Member

This is fascinating; thanks so much for sharing! I found it to be so interesting that I forwarded it onto my husband. My only question is are the tampons intended to be sort of a last resort, or did his lady specifically pack extra for these purposes?!
  15. oldsarge

oldsarge Active Member

I didn't take it as a suggestion to carry them. I think that maybe in some situations they might be available and can be used. The whole blow gun and dart technique is a little far fetched if you ask me.
  16. Joe S.

Joe S. New Member

Tampons are very useful for first aid puposes in a survival kit. I actually heard a guy who is a survival expert put that out in a lecture at work.
  17. Judy Ann

Judy Ann Active Member

I've read about backpackers that carry maxipads as absorbent dressings for severe injuries. A couple of those take up much less space than 4x4 gauze pads.:tinysmile_twink_t2:
  18. oldsarge

oldsarge Active Member

A lot of police have them in their squad cars also for the same reason.
  19. Pathfinder1

Judy Ann;

I've read about backpackers that carry maxipads as absorbent dressings for severe injuries. A couple of those take up much less space than 4x4 gauze pads.

Hi...

I carry a couple in my UTE FAK.
  20. Judy Ann

Judy Ann Active Member

Pathfinder1 not Pathfinder: I have been meaning to ask you, What is a UTE FAK? Have you done a modification to a vehicle and included a fancy bug-out-bag? :tinysmile_tongue_t: