Fines for hookups

outwest

A coworker just told me he was fined for improper hooking of his trailer. I wonder how many others get nailed with this? I have never caught anything on the road that looked unsafe other than the lack of proper brake-lights on a trailer.

rockin

I know we are super careful when my hubby hooks up the camper. He makes sure there are safety hooks on too - in case the camper comes off the hitch. I know there are rules for hooking one up.

sticks

Señor Member
I would say you need to check your state's regulations on this. Each one has their own rules and regs.

CozInCowtown

Here in Texas there has been a big push the last few years cracking down on trailers not connected correctly.
This is a good thing IMO with a large number of towed trailers with no lights, safety chains and unsecured loads.
JMO,
DC

outwest

We see unsecured loads of all types and most are coming from places like Lowes & Home Depot. I am amazed you do not see more cops stalking these areas to just ticket them as soon as they hit a public road.

BirdBrain

You would think they would. I saw one cop the other day speed up to the verge between the interstate and the exit ramp, jump out and start pointing the radar gun at oncoming traffic.

outwest

Our state says that speed traps are a nono but cops are starting to find ways around it. This morning I watched what felt like a high speed pursuit, they zoomed right past me. I am just lucky we had room as the road was not busy but they guy that got pulled over was a nut job.

Hyde

You will get fined here pretty quickly for anything trailer related. You do not even want to try to go a few miles having it hooked up wrong or having the lights out.

Grandpa

We had a semi on the interstate get hit by a runaway trailer. The runaway was one of those old pickup bed conversion trailers. It came through the median and smack into the drivers side steering tire, up and through the engine cowling and the hitch made it all the way into the cab, right between our two drivers. Nearly totaled the semi tractor, but the driver was able to keep the rig upright.

wvbreamfisherman

Yikes! I had one of those little til-bed utility trailer go haywire on me once when the pin that held the bed down came out. I have no idea how the safety latch came off the pin, but I was all over the road for a few seconds when the bed flopped down.

I took some bungee cords and tied the bed down as best I could and limped home.

Two hours, an acetylene torch to heat and soften the metal, and some sledgehammer work later the bed was back in place. I drilled out two holes and put 1/2 inch bolts with castellated nuts and cotter pins in them to hold things in place.

Oddly enough that trailer tows easier and straighter now then it did when it was brand new.