Firm or Soft Mattress?

JimBob

I have an expensive mattress that I bought a few years ago and it was really soft. I use to sleep like a baby on it, but I haven't had a good night of sleep in probably 4 or 5 months. I get back and side pain now, especially when I try to sleep in. I'm really tired of dealing with it and I've never had this issue in my life. Would it be better for my back to get a more firm mattress? I've tried those postrapedic beds like on tv before when I stayed in a hotel up in Kentucky, but it was so hard I didn't like it. I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to waste money on a new mattress and then I end up with back pain still.

CFlyer

I'm sorry to hear that. Try using a not so hard but not so soft bed. We have a back-saver bed and I think this bed is moderately hard.

oldsarge

Do you regularly turn your mattress over, or rotate it 180º. This should be done on a regular basis. It will prolong the wear of the mattress and prevent wear areas.

JimBob

I have heard of turning it over and rotating it, but the bottom of it has a board or something hard on it, and that really kills me. I have tried rotating it, but it doesn't really help. I end up sleeping on every side in every direction of the bed. It's a pain for my girlfriend, but she knows I'm in pain. The pain only comes when I try to get a lot of sleep most of the time. I can sleep for about 4 hours with no pain. When I do have the pain, it goes away pretty quickly when I get out of bed so I don't think it can be something wrong with my back that would require a doctor.

oldsarge

I get that way no matter where I sleep, after 6 or 7 hours I'll wake up sore and stiff. It works it's way out soon enough but I too would like to sleep in on occasion.

JimBob

I get that way no matter where I sleep, after 6 or 7 hours I'll wake up sore and stiff. It works it's way out soon enough but I too would like to sleep in on occasion.
The thing is I never ever had this before. I always slept on my stomach in the past and I could sleep for 10 hours straight without moving the same position. I slept so well. I've gained a lot of weight in my belly now and it feels like my belly pulls my back down if I lay on my stomach. Perhaps I'm just so out of shape that it's messing me up when I sleep?