First Aid Kit Reminder

sailorman

I had to use my first aid kit for the first time this year. I am lucky I had what I needed because I forgot to check it since the last time I used it. Remember Folks, make sure to stock those first aid kits!

Hyde

Thanks for the reminder. It did't even cross my mind to check for out of date ointments. I do need a new ice pack. I had one that you just had to bend to make it cold but I used it. Wonder where you buy those at.

Barney

There are a few things that have expiration dates in my gear and I schedule a reminder for restocking. I'm very meticulous about these things.

Ilovelife

You are better than I am. I just got out my first aid kid and I am so ashamed of myself! Great thread and suggestions!

limbs

If you keep your first aid kit in your car then you want to test your electronic thermometer. The high heat inside the car can make them break.

Grandpa

We have semi-annual check dates on the calendar to check all first aid kits and the extra supplies in our storage room. Sometimes a first aid kit gets used, left out to be restocked and then forgotten before it gets back to it's designated place. We have road necessity first aid kits in every vehicle, master kit in house, sports first aid kits for game time (coaches love us because having coached youth, I know what all could be required and oft times we are better prepared than they are) and of course my back packing and grandmas camping first aid kits. We also maintain a quantity of non-perishables in our storage room, like boxes of bandaids, tape, sterile gauze, alcohol, mineral oil, etc.

Ranger

Great post! Sometimes we tend to overlook small but very important stuff like this. I haven't checked mine in many months. Should do it before I forget again.

ChadTower

(coaches love us because having coached youth, I know what all could be required and oft times we are better prepared than they are)

I coached baseball for years and you would be amazed how many places have a meticulous snack bar, grounds manicured like Fenway Park, but if you ask them for a bandage it takes 5 people a half hour to find something. It's almost like the higher the budget for the organization the lower the odds of them having a good first aid kit. None of the parents will, either. They all have that cell phone as lifeline mentality.

Don't even get me started on how few of them have anyone on hand that really understands the sports equipment and how/why it protects what it does. If I hear one more coach tell a kid "no, that mouthpiece has nothing to do with head injuries"...

Lorax

I always check for outdated and old items whenever i change the clocks ahead or back. I've been doing this for years and keeps me involved in not only the quality of stuff in my FA Kits, but reminds me to re-stock.

Hyde

I am all done, my first aid kit is fully stocked and ready to go! Lorax, I just wanted to say that your handle is my favorite book ever! Nice!

Michael

This year, I finally got around to waterproofing my FAK. I take it hiking. A few weeks ago, I very slightly fell into a lake (just up to mid shin). It got me thinking how useless all my bandages would be if they were soaked with lake water.

Now I just need to remember to pick up some more butterfly stitches and some quick clot. I know that there are some dangers associated with quick clot, but I'd rather risk problems later than bleed out now.

GPER

The rant about the ball parks not having bandaids reminds me I need to put a couple more in my wallet. I still haven't checked the first aid kits.