First Aid Knowledge

paloma

When we go out camping, there will always be a minor accident, like cuts, bruises, some small burns, etc. We know what to do in case these minor accidents happen. What about when someone drowns or gets a heat stroke? How much do you know about first aid treatment?

waverider365

When I became a parent I made sure I was trained in first aid and CPR and I was a girl scout where I learned about splints, how to recognize heat exhaustion but I wouldn't know what to do for a head injury.

Ms. Nibbles

I have some experience in first aid, but it's also easy to forget over the years when you aren't using some of the things. I find that the best thing to do is purchase a paperback book that deals with the main first aid issues and carry it with you. That way you can be prepared.

Jade

One thing my first aid kit is NEVER without is ........ crazy glue.

A seriously nasty cut, for example, from a hunting knife, often needs stitches. What we do is pressure the wound until it stops bleeding and can 'hold together' for a minute without splitting open again. It gets wrapped carefully in guaze, one layer .... and then the crazy glue goes atop that. Splint the digit, and leave it alone; you'll be able to get to help at a leisurely rate if you feel the need.

I've skipped a lot of trips to the ER for stitches with this lil trick. :)

Tony

Whenever you go to a specific place, try to know from the locals what you will expect on terrain you are going. This way you will also prepare for the kind of first aids you need to know. For me though, CPR is the main first aid that we must know.

Tired_Sneakers

I like Jade's little trick. I will definitely get me a new tube of krazy glue. It makes a lot of sense. I have take CPR and basic first aid classes, but I am due for refresher.

Itchy_Ivy

I am not very good at the sight of blood, but I think I can at least not lose it completely. I think I should see if I can take a course at the YMCA.

Red-Amazon

Crazy glue is going into my first aid kit right now! Great idea.
Be aware that wilderness aid is long in coming. Know first aid and stay up with it. And be prepared to leave your hiking partner in pain for many hours in the dark, alone. Someone has to go for help. (Who gets the flashlight?)

IndianaHiker

IF you are going into the back county one should know the basics. I am luck to have been trained as a medic in the Army. I have also been through a Wilderness First Aid Course as well as CPR and standard First Aid. If a ever have a the extra money would love to take a Wilderness First Responder Course.

Mysty1

I didn't even realize there was a wilderness first aid course although why wouldn't there be as there are so many scenarios that can happen. I think that's the course I'll take next.

Snaggerman

When we go out camping, there will always be a minor accident, like cuts, bruises, some small burns, etc. We know what to do in case these minor accidents happen. What about when someone drowns or gets a heat stroke? How much do you know about first aid treatment?
My wife and I have this area well covered she has been an EMT for 24 years and I have 17 years experience. We go camping prepared for just about anything that can happen. Thank goodness we very rarely have to respond to anything.

Bassale28

I have had a First Aid and CPR certification since high school. One of the best ongoing resources for great tips is Backpacker magazine. They run articles constantly with great tips and stories of people's creative camping and back country solutions.

Personally I keep a quantity of duct tape wrapped around the shaft of my hiking pole. I have used it not only for equipment repairs but most recently to tape down a bad tear on my wife's finger. The tear was too bad for standard band aids to handle. Gauze and duct tape did the trick.

GPER

I try to keep my first aid, cpr, and aed up to date every year. I need to sign up for the class next month.

Grandpa

All great ideas, especially proper training. The one thing I will add, push the 911 button on a SPOT tracker. I'm not into the gadget thing but anyone who ventures off the beaten path needs to check one of these out. I was forced by family to start carrying one because I do a lot of solo trips deep into the Idaho, Montana etc wilderness'. Besides tracking your trail, thus providing your widow with quick closure with the insurance company, being able to send for help both 911 and non emergency, the subscription also comes with an optional emergency extraction insurance. Break a leg in a Southern Utah slot canyon and the fee to get you out could run as high as $20,000. And it happens, all too often. No...I'm not selling them but I sure do recommend them.

Hayley

I know the basics, but I have to admit that medical stuff is not my cup of tea. I just hate the site of blood or anything gory. I am not the medical type of person.