First outing with a 2-year-old... any advise?

EmberMike

While I anxiously await the warmer weather here in NJ, I'm thinking about my first outing with my with and son in the spring. This will be the first time out with the little guy, and I'm not sure what special considerations I should take into account. Obviously we'll be packing a little heavier than usual, and I'm not even sure what kind of bedding to bring for him (Do they make camping stuff for toddlers?).

I'm looking at Jenny Jump in Hope, NJ for this trip. It's not a long drive, it's supposed to be a nice quiet area, with some drive-in sites and facilities within walking distance. Normally my wife and I have camped at more rustic locations, but for this trip I think it would be smart to have some more modern amenities nearby.

Any tips for a first outing with a toddler?

mamabear

This looks like a great place to camp. I did notice that they take camping reservations so be sure you have that covered. The only advice I would give concerns the noise level. Sometimes a little guy can be quite noisy. Hopefully it won't be disturbing to other campers. Otherwise, go and have a great time!

EmberMike

This looks like a great place to camp. I did notice that they take camping reservations so be sure you have that covered. The only advice I would give concerns the noise level. Sometimes a little guy can be quite noisy. Hopefully it won't be disturbing to other campers. Otherwise, go and have a great time!
Good point about the noise issue. I'm thinking I should drive out there to make the reservation and see if I can pick a fairly secluded site.

Hikenhunter

Take him out and have a great time. When we had toddlers we did bring our pack and play portable playpen for sleeping just in case the little buggars woke up before us, so they couldn't wander off while we were still asleep.

Grandpa

Saw the cutest little sleeping bag for toddlers this week. However, we found that blankets are still the best and easiest to dry out in case he has a problem during the night. :tinysmile_twink_t2:Our kids and grandkids didn't get sleeping bags until they could remain dry all night.

Two year olds love camping. Getting dirty is part of the fun for them, so have a little extra cleanup stuff for him while he has a ball. Mama won't fret quite so much either when he thows dirt on himself.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

As hikenhunter mentioned, a playpen is great to keep him "contained" while mom and dad are busy. Meal fixing requires a little more attention away from a toddler. That and sleeping time are the two times when they can relocate at a phenominal speed.

EmberMike

I was thinking I'd rather not bring the pack-and-play, but you guys are probably right, it will be useful for keeping him in one place through the night.

I doubt he'll tolerate being in it while awake, so the wife and I will just have to take turns with the cooking duties.

I may also have to look into a bigger tent to accommodate the pack-and-play, but that was bound to become a necessary purchase soon regardless.

Hikenhunter

Dragging extra stuff along while he is so small is one of those things that just can't be helped. That being said do yourself a favor and please drag that pack and play along no matter how nuch you think you can do with out it, you'll be glad you did. Also grandpa is right about the blankets. I think my guys were about 4 or 5 before they got their first sleeping bags,and that was because that was when I first took them backpacking.

EmberMike

I'll probably bring it along. It's car camping after all, so it's not like I need to be really frugal about what we pack.

ppine

Forester
If I had a bunch of kids to take camping I would want Grandpa to be there to show us the ropes.

edit- Use a parka zipped up for a sleeping bag. Don't go for long or go far but keep going. Make it easy and fun. Little kids are easy to pack around and much more durable than we give them credit for. I met some western Shoshones last weekend and we had a conversation about cradle boards which they had for sale. Being able to take kids everywhere is a huge advantage.

Last edited:

ChadTower

The only real thing I can think of is that you'll want to have him sleep in a manner similar to how he does at home. If he still sleeps in a crib then bring the pack n play. If he sleeps in a bed and has the ability to get up during the night then just put him under some blankets with you and his mom. He might even want to be in the bag with one of you depending on his level of anxiety. Other than that there isn't much different than a long day trip at the park.

chuckdee

Take him out and have a great time. When we had toddlers we did bring our pack and play portable playpen for sleeping just in case the little buggars woke up before us, so they couldn't wander off while we were still asleep.

Yes on the crib/pack and play pen. So glad I brought it when my girl was 2ish...it will spare you a few gray hairs. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Last edited:

TroyS

Agree on the crib and pack and play too. Also, try to bring a few of his favorite pillows and toys. It will make him feel more comfortable and less get uneasy and cranky of staying in a different place.