Fishing bluegill beds

offtrail

Fishing bluegills beds has got to be the most fun a person can have and not get arrested for it. The action can be hot and heavy but when it stops, just move to another bed. The action will start all over again a person can do this all day or until your worn out and can't make another cast. If a person is wade fishing then be considerate and walk around the beds not through them. Also only take what you need or whatever the bag limit is. Bluegill are prolific breeders but we still need to practice responsible management Bluegill Bed Fishing May 2013 - YouTube

wvbreamfisherman

Bag limit in WV is all you can catch plus one. There is a lake here (which shall remain nameless) where my brother and I used to go every Memorial Day weekend to catch bedding bluegills. I've caught and released over two hundred in a day's fishing. We usually kept 50-75 each of the biggest ones for a fish fry.

I used a bushy wet fly nymph or a foam rubber spider and a fly rod.

Cappy

I love fishing them with a popper on my fly rod. Sometimes I riga brim killer. a poper with a ft long trailing leader with a wet fly on it. Takes some practice to cast it but if ya fish a fly rod it comes pretty easy. When keeping some my technique is simple when I can lay them on my hand and still see hand I turn them loose usually that culls them out to 25-50 of the big ones. I like yall have had epic trips catching hundreds and just having a ball.

offtrail

Bag limit in WV is all you can catch plus one. There is a lake here (which shall remain nameless) where my brother and I used to go every Memorial Day weekend to catch bedding bluegills. I've caught and released over two hundred in a day's fishing. We usually kept 50-75 each of the biggest ones for a fish fry.

I used a bushy wet fly nymph or a foam rubber spider and a fly rod.
I hear you, bluegill are great eating.

offtrail

I love fishing them with a popper on my fly rod. Sometimes I riga brim killer. a poper with a ft long trailing leader with a wet fly on it. Takes some practice to cast it but if ya fish a fly rod it comes pretty easy. When keeping some my technique is simple when I can lay them on my hand and still see hand I turn them loose usually that culls them out to 25-50 of the big ones. I like yall have had epic trips catching hundreds and just having a ball.
I like using ice jigs with a very small mistertwister. Once they catch on and slow down I just add a waxworm and it's game on again. The first couple cast through the beds needs no live bait at all, they will hit just about anything...I love it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Waxworms, redworms, a chunk of nightcrawler, crickets, a small piece of chicken; anything works. The males are the only ones on the beds protecting them. If you catch a female, she'll be full of eggs, so throw her back.

wvbreamfisherman

Waxworms, redworms, a chunk of nightcrawler, crickets, a small piece of chicken; anything works. The males are the only ones on the beds protecting them. If you catch a female, she'll be full of eggs, so throw her back.
I always kept a few hens, Bluegill roe scrambled with eggs onions and sharp cheddar cheese is food for the gods...

Also- a Trout Magnet micro jig is good for fishing the beds as well. They are killers for crappie in the right conditions too.