flex bow/springbar tents

Judy Ann

Making a switch from ultra light gear to a base camp set-up for extensive traveling alone in the US and I'm concerned that the sixteen 12" steel stakes might not hold the tent up during tropical storms in sandy soil. No interest in digging holes large enough to bury logs to tie the tent down, but was thinking that maybe a different type of stake at least in the corners and under the upright poles would be of benefit. Went with Kodiak 10x10 from Cabela's and it tested well in 50mph winds in NC soil. There is no place to attach guylines which is making me a little nervous. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Grandpa

Drive the stake in at an angle away from direction of pull. In softer ground, double stake by putting another stake 6-8 inches further out and tying to the first stake.

Judy Ann

Thank you Grandpa. Would a Y-type configuration work best? Should I pick up some sand/snow stakes or would regular 12" be adequate? I really appreciate your guidance!

Grandpa

Thats a judgement call based on what you think the wind will do. If the storm is that bad, might be best to get the heck out of there. But 12" stakes should hold a lot unless in straight sand, in which case double staking will help but not withstand a hurricane.

I'm not familiar with "sand stakes". A Y would give it that much more support.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Thank you for the reassurance and the advice Grandpa. Was unable to hike out of a walk-in site at the same locale last year during a tropical storm and am still a little gun-shy. Probably why I purchased a heavy canvas tent so that I would always be near the car out of necessity!!!

konadownhill

purchase 3/8" x 8" or longer lag screws with a large washer. Use a cordless impact drill to "hammer" them into the ground. Softer ground, use a longer / larger lag bolt, esp on corners. No guy lines needed with a flex bow style tent. Energy is transferred downward. I own two Springbars and this is what I do.

Judy Ann

Bless ya konadownhill...I just knew that tears of frustration would happen somewhere along the line over the next few months with packed soil. Pardon a few stupid questions but the hubby died a few years back so I can't ask him ;-): Regarding that impact drill, I was wondering if you thought that the Craftsman 17191 19.2 volt C3 cordless drill/driver for $49.99 at Sears would be adequate and will it keep a charge for 2-3 weeks? I don't usually seek out sites with electricity. I guess that I can use the drill in reverse to get the lags out? What size washer specifiically will I need? Do you roughly stake out the tent before you "hammer" in the lag screws? Would you suggest putting them in at an angle or straight down?

Thanks again for the help and advice!!!

konadownhill

your cordless driver needs to be am "impact" style driver. ask sears or home depot to sell you one. the lags should be 10" long on the corners and 6" in between. get the biggest washer that will fit on the lags you buy (probably about 2"). the washers serve the same purpose that "hooks" on the pegs do. this is an expensive option $100 or more for driver and $50 for lags. but you already dropped a lot of $$$ on the tent, so this is a permenant fix to your worries. sorry about your husband, PM me and I will give you my email in case you have any more questions. i'm no expert, but i camp several times a year in a canvas springbar tent with buddy heaters.

Judy Ann

The stakes included in your tent are made for hard rocky soil. However you are not going to be able to drive the stake through a large bolder or stone. You need to find an area where you can drive a stake. I like using a rubber mallet—you can find one in the tool section of Walmart or Home Depot.

In areas where you cannot get a stake in the ground you are going to have to secure the stake loops to a pile of rocks, a log, anything that will provide an anchor.

In sand the included stakes are not much good. You need to get a sand stake with a lot more surface area.

Happy Camping,

KC