Freezing temps and outside pets!

campclose

If I see one more dog outside tied up on my way to work I might scream. I passed four houses today on the back road that had dogs outside tied up. It is so cold out with a negative wind chill. I don't know why people don't bring their pets inside. If they cannot do that then they should not have pets.

OutdoorMomma

Sometimes it's a matter of the dog not wanting to be inside. I tried to bring my dog in and he had a fit. He prefers to be outside, but he also has a very large (it's actually a kid's playhouse that we converted into a dog house for him), insulated dog house filled with straw and a heating pad. I agree, if you can bring the dog in the house, do it, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

carmen

Our dogs are outside dogs but we check them frequently and we insulate their pens. Our dogs have been house dogs before but they do not like it, so we took the extra time and extra money to make sure they were protected from the weather. It is sad to think that most people never do this.

Grandpa

As long as they have a place to get out of the wind or rain/snow, they are fine. But if I had to keep my dog tied up, well, I wouldn't keep him tied up. Dogs need excercise and I bet those tied dogs aren't getting much.

TakeAHike

Dogs were kind of built to be outside. The dog at the house I babysit at whines at the door if we keep him cooped up inside.

CozInCowtown

Ours is a small dog that comes and goes as he likes through doggie door.
The girls have spoiled him rotten and he is generally shacked up with some kid in bed at night nice and cozy.
Coz

Last edited:

Snuggles

I'm just an old softy when it comes to pets. I think they should all be inside if it's cold. My kitties love to get warm and snuggle. Of course they are spoiled.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
The last dog I had was a Huskie/Malamute mix. Needless to say, she wasn't happy until the temps got below freezing. There were many times she was sound asleep with a covering of frost or ice on her. And yes, she had a nice dog house but she never used it. The only time she would get in it was if you threw a biscuit in there. :)

Bojib

My dog hates being in the house. She is a pound rescue, Chow/Retriever mix. She grows in the thick winter coats that Chows get. She is much like the dog Theo talks about. She loves to lay out in the snow, and often times she'll be sound asleep with a good covering of snow on her. She's 14 and she's been that way since a young pup.

She's more than welcome to come stay inside with us. In her older age she wants inside sometimes, usually when the temperature drops down in to the teens. At first break of day light she's ready to go right back outside though.

bsmit212

I agree some dogs just hate being inside. Or for some reason need to be outside dogs. But please make sure they have a warm and dry place to get out of the weather.

BigSur

I can see how many dogs would hate to be inside. But one of our redneck neighbors across the street leaves his dogs outside during the cold, and that thing just whines and yelps until they take him in. It's really kind of sad!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Theo and Bojib are the only ones who seem to have the right idea here. If you own a rat dog, which is what we call the tiny ones around my neck of the woods, you should keep it indoors. It can freeze to death quickly in a hostile environment. Generally speaking, dogs with normal body weights in excess of thirty pounds will do just fine in cold temps, some with the aid of a dog house and some with a simple windbreak.

Don't get so judgmental when you see a larger dog tethered outside in the middle of the day or in an outdoor pen in the cold. Dogs are not human and like many other animals people feel sorry for, they would be most uncomfortable inside sitting by the fire.

offtrail

People don't realize that dogs are animals, even the little sparrow can live outside in all kinds of weather. I have a Beagle basset hound that just loves the outdoors, when I break the ice out of his water bowl. He comes and grabs the ice and runs around with it, after a while he then lays down and eats the ice. If you give your dog plenty of cover and better food for the winter time they are perfectly fine outdoors. Now a small lap dog no way should it be in the cold.

campclose

Oh I'm not quick to judge. The dogs I am talking about are never let loose. I see them in the same spot day after day, night after night. It is like the owners forgot about them. You can see the grass all run-down where they run every day.

Cappy

Our chubby mut sleeps in da house with us. Since his brother is gone he has been getting in bed with us. We don't mind he stays at the foot and we figure its a comfort to him. Our yard cats have a cat house in our shed with a heating pad in it. They seem to being enjoying the occasional frost and getting a kick outa the sheets and stuff we use to cover tender plants.They can sue the dog door to come in but thankfully choose not to. One will occasionally wander in through an open door but wanders back out again pretty quick they are mostly ferrel and much preffer the "wilds" of our yard.

offtrail

Oh I'm not quick to judge. The dogs I am talking about are never let loose. I see them in the same spot day after day, night after night. It is like the owners forgot about them. You can see the grass all run-down where they run every day.
As heart breaking as that may be it does happen and we can't save them all. If you fill the situation needs attention then make a call for your own peace of mind. As long as the dog has shelter, food and water not much can be done about being tied 24/7.