Fresh Water Fishtank

calanta

We are thinking about getting one and yes I know the fun of taking care of one, but the vote is in and we still want one. Does anyone here have any awesome tips in keeping one clean though? I have a feeling I will be doing most of the work. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

wildberry

Keeping the tank out of direct sunlight will help cut down on algae. So will an algae eater. Buy the best filter you can afford. That helps tremendously.

This is the part that I am not sure of. If you don't have gravel, you don't have as much of a buildup of waste on the bottom. But, I also understand that the fish kind of need the some of the bacteria and by products that are produced there. I liked not having gravel...

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Are you talking aquarium or trout pond?

If you're talking aquarium, the first 4-6 weeks are the roughest while the tank goes through the nitrate cycle. Resist the urge to add a bunch of fish before the tank is fully cycled and the toxins have leveled out. It gets expensive and frustrating to try and keep a bunch of fish alive in a cycling tank.

Depending on the size of the tank, a couple Platys are excellent for starting a new tank. They are hardy and can survive the toxins if you keep it in check. Try to get 2 females because Platys breed like rabbits lol.

Once the tank is cycled you can put whatever you want in there and then just adjust the water hardness & PH to match the species.

It can get pretty pricey buying all your test kits and what not at the beginning, but they last a long time.

FernGully

We had an above ground fresh water tank for tilapia. We were able to put them in full sun because they eat algae. You need to put in bottom feeders since a good filtration system gets rid of algae. I say had because we also have free range ducks. Not a good combination.