Full Metal Cookware!

Barney

Nowadays cookware they make has at least one plastic or rubber/silicone part which prohibits us to put it over the campfire. This is ridiculous because I often want to throw my pot in the fire.

Gondor

I agree, if it's not the lid it's the handle. Who would want to grab a hot lid anyway with their hands. Use your sleeve for that. But I guess equipment needs to look fancy and futuristic to sell.

Grandpa

Not really. Lots of great camping stuff out there. Start with cast iron but it doesn't end there. Enamal pots and pans have been around for ages. My backpacking cookset is anodized aluminum 2 nestled large cups and a lid that will withstand most anything. The higher dollar people carry titanium sets. These are made specifically for either open flame stoves or campfires. Just get out of housewares and go to sporting goods to find what you need.

Barney

Anything aluminium without plastic parts with links preferably, or at least names? BTW, I don't need stupid pots from outer space that weigh a ton.

Backroad Joe

I'll agree there is lots of overpriced junk out there. Too many companies have equipment designers that have never set foot off pavement, let alone actually use the equipment. The way I look at it, if you need titanium to cook... you're not a cook. Back when I was backpacking I cooked with aluminum on a Svea 123. I learned how use to use it properly. Now that all my camping is out of the back of a jeep I use cast iron and cook over the fire as much as possible.

I recall reading an article about how The North Face had lost it's way by hiring young designers that could create fashionable clothing, only to realize that these designers seldom left New York City! I don't believe they have found their way back yet. Just last week an old camping buddy of mine was ranting because he had gone into REI looking for a particular piece of common gear. They didn't have it, but they did have clothing racks as far as the eye could see. He complained to the manager and left. I agree with him most sporting goods stores have become clothing stores for people that want to look sporty.

Johnny

You are right in a way. It is funny what you can find out about a piece of gear once you test it in action. For example, I had a rock solid aluminium frying pan that got twisted in the first camping fire I threw it in.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
We had a pot on a homemade wood pot rack in a campground a few years ago. The ranger almost stroked when he saw the cut trees. He assumed we harvsted locally. LOL After he was shown more wood in the truck and saw it was persimmon and they had none around there he laughed and went on.

ppine

Forester
What Grandpa said. I like stainless steel over aluminum because of the possible links to Old Timer's Disease with Al.

ppine

Forester
Gunny,
Your quote is still questionable. Any class about survival that is cancelled due to weather is being taught by the wrong guy. Bad weather is an opportunity to learn something. Anybody can survive in good weather.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Theo;
One of my favorites is the Coleman Anodized Cookset. Bought it because it was cheap but it has been one of my better kits.

Hi...

Looks rather nice...and handy. Does it fit well in a backpack?
Here are some photos of my day pack set up with the small (20oz.) pot/cup.

All packed up.

The Light my Fire Spork and the cut down 1 liter Nalgene bottle will give you an idea as to relative size. Fits real handy in my daypack.