Gear Weight?

Barney

I'm not trying to be redundant with this question. Can you share your backpack weight without food and water for day hikes, weekends, longer trips and so on? I would really like to compare my pack weight because I think I'm hauling too much gear lately.

Grandpa

I don't weigh it often as I am comfortable with the gear I have. But for a ten day, September, Yellowstone Thorofare trip, I did weigh. 17 lbs gear and 15 lbs food bag, dry weight for a total of 32 lbs in the pack. Excluded because it was carried on my person and not the pack was camera, knife, bic lighter, 2 cell AAA mag lite, 1 liter nalgene bottle in a belt carrier, and SPOT. We expected and got snow, and heavy rain. I had everything I needed to stay comfortable with a day of food left over.

In July and August I would be about 2 lbs less of clothing. For shorter than a week, I would switch packs for a 2 lb drop and another pound of clothes but usually carry about the same gear, even on an overnighter.

Barney

That sounds about right. I'm probably in that range as well. Although I don't have the time to take longer trips, I'm sure my pack would be prepared like that for 10 days.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'm not sure... Over 20 under 40 with everything inside. I did do something interesting though. After my first overnight, I took everything I didn't use and the stuff I
Might want to leave home, and threw it in a sack. It was about 5 pounds. Little stuff adds up. I know what to leave behind next time.

Michael

An overnight with my own food and water comes in a little over 20 pounds for me. This varies a bit depending on the season and the clothing I bring along. More time out means the same gear, but more food (I can get water where I camp).

For a day hike, not too much. I generally bring some socks, an extra layer, some basics (like bug spray), and food and water. Maybe 5-7 pounds plus water (depending on exactly what it is I'm brining and where I'll be).

Eppo

My total gear is about 15-17 pounds without food and water. I generally plan about two pounds of food per day and I don't carry more than 10-days of food. I had to carry 11-days for the long section of the JMT from Muir Camp to Mt Whitney in 2007 but I try hard to arrange resupplies no more than 10-days apart. Generally speaking, I like to keep my pack weight at no more than 15% of my body weight. I'll go to 20% if I have to but no more. I weigh 200 pounds. i no longer subscribe to that Colin Fletcher nonsense of carrying 33% of body weight. That killed me when I was young and there is no way I am ever doing that again.