GENERAL CARE OF TENTS^^^

Northern Dancer

CAMPING LIFE
with Northern Dancer

The fall is now with us and very soon the winter will entertain us with snow, sleet, wind, and ice. But no matter the season or what part of the forest you live in it is always important to take care of your tent.

GENERAL CARE OF TENTS
Use a "foot", or as we use to call it, a groundsheet, under the tent floor to protect it
from protruding obstacles and sticks you may have missed when checking the ground.
The foot also helps keep the bottom of your tent clean.

This is really helpful when you are packing away. It looks better too.
NEVER pack a wet tent and leave it that way. Dry it out as quickly as possible to

prevent tent rot, mildew, and damage to the *seals.
Don't store your tent on a cement floor - it will kill the tent eventually.
If possible hang to store it.
I you are unable to do that store it in a dry place and leave the zipper open for ventilation.

*Always inspect your tent before putting it away
to assure there is no damage and that everything is there including poles, guylines, and pegs.
Use a rug or floor covering inside your tent to protect the floor and keep it clean.
It also makes the tent cozy and warm - nice on "bear" feet in the morning.
Place a mat outside the door and make sure to wipe them their paws before
going in. Have a boot tray inside the door.
No food in your tent - not good and could be dangerous to your well-being.
Keep a whisk broom to pick up sand and dirt.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Take time to wash out the soiled spots including bird droppings. Brush it off and shake the tent out.
Get rid of sand or dried on dirt; you can also carefully sweep or vacuum inside while the tent is set up.
Spot clean.
I've used the hose and a light detergent to gently wash my tent down.
I check the seals, screens, zippers, poles, guylines, pegs to make sure they are clean and functional.
When everything is complete and the tent is thoroughly dry it is ready to be stored.
I tag the tent with a dated card so come
next time I know that everything I need is there and nothing is missing.

*A tent seal is where the material is sewn together and is sealed by the manufacturer to prevent water leaks.

Ever ask yourself why you have so much trouble putting the tent back into the bag?
What you might not know is that the "bag" that your tent comes in, for the most part, is a packaging device used by the manufacturer to package the tent.
So...if you are having trouble, get yourself another bag that fits better and mark it clearly.

3080 Dad always said, "Take care of your equipment and the equipment will take care of you."

Roybrew

Yes sir, that is great advice. I did some repairing and cleaning on my big tent a few months back. I bought it from someone at work 15 years ago. Used it alot to.

Northern Dancer

Yes sir, that is great advice. I did some repairing and cleaning on my big tent a few months back. I bought it from someone at work 15 years ago. Used it alot to.
=====> Thank you! I never really know who reads these articles that we post but I do hope that on occasion they can be helpful to people who enjoy camping as much as we do.

Roybrew

I always read them. I was wondering if one of my tents was on the basement floor? If it is it hasn't been there long. If it's dry, what does hurt?

Northern Dancer

I always read them. I was wondering if one of my tents was on the basement floor? If it is it hasn't been there long. If it's dry, what does hurt?
=====> Frequently the location selected tends to be a "damp" floor. Where there is dampness there is the possibility of mildew forming in the tent.

Roybrew

Well good morning friend, yep I keep a dehumidifier and box fan running most of the year.

AK Hunter

Sounds like everything I have been doing all along. sweeping out the new light weight tents is a breeze. Just un stake them, stand inside, turn them over sippers down & shake. You couldn't do that with the old canvas tents. LOL
I also use a good spray of camp dry & let dry before storing. I also do another spray of camp dry before my first use of the season.