Georgia Death Race

bsmit212

This thing is crazy. Went camping last night and ended up camping next to the race course. These people are crazy. Starts at 4:00 AM at Vogel state park and go 60 miles with 30,000 feet in elevation change. We were seeing folks pass all day. The first we saw pas was around 4:00 PM. The last one we saw was around 2:30 AM, and we camped probably about another hour from the finish line. Anyone think they could do it?

Georgia Death Race | Georgia Ultramarathon Trail Race

ppine

Forester
Why would you? What do you have to prove. Working the body like that pays some bad dividends later, as in worn out joints.

There are similar events around the country. I think these events appeal to the same kind of people that get an MBA by going to night school, triatheletes, marathoners. Most are over-achievers trying to prove something to Dad or themselves. Some are great atheletes that are addicted to intense exercise and the endorphin compounds released by great exertion.

Last edited:

Grandpa

60 miles would be a death race for me.....if I even tried....which I wouldn't. :tinysmile_tongue_t: But those trail races are gaining popularity in the east. One of my backpacking friends has run some of them but only around 30-35 miles. Crazzzzzzy. They also have relay ultra marathon races such as the "Hood to Coast" race in Oregon. It is used mainly as a fund raiser for Cancer but of course the participants are in it for the "glory" of completing the race alive.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Dannytoo

I will quot an old saying, " If you see me running you better be also cause there is something big chasing me".
See no need to hurry, unless there is only one piece of cornbread left on the plate.

JeepThrills

I think there is something like that around here. It is a triathlon event and looks like something you might see on television. A friend of mine has bought tickets to go see it.

Scotty

Not me. I don't run unless I have to. It's not an activity I like to engage in however I don't begrudge those who want to do it. The old joints don't move anywhere near that fast these days.

Hikenhunter

Not even in my wildest dreams. A buddy of mine did a polar bear plunge into Bluemarsh Lake on Saturday. It is a fundraiser that some churches and other groups do in the spirit of St. Patty's Day.:tinysmile_twink_t2: I was there to tape it on my camcorder and to cheer him on. I think I must of been nuts cause my hands were sooo cold. Geuss what I think of his sanity. Anything more intense is just not getting any interest out of this old fat boy.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Last edited:

cabinfever

Not something I would do but it's pretty impressive that so many people do participate. I don't run for exercise. Too high impact and I already have arthritis in my knees and flat feet. Running would kill me.

JeepThrills

I was hoping to start back running in about a month or so, but my knee is really bothering me. I want to do a 5K in the fall, so I guess I still have some time left to train, but I wanted to get started in cooler weather.