Getting Lost Prevention

outdoors Joe

Does anyone use the Boy and Girl Scout method of marking your path when you walk in an unknown woods? It seems like it would be good to use if you could make the markers visible enough and close enough.

Bradsalex

Not sure what that method is, never did boy scouts although I want my kids to do it. If you could put a link to the method or something in your post it would help. Or I could just stop being lazy and do some research.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Scouting signs is almost exclusively what I use. They work very well and with practice they are very easy to spot, even in dense brush. It does take some practice to use them off-trail though.

I also carry high visibility tape if I have to mark across a wide open space and see it from a couple hundred yards, but I don;t really like to use it if I can help it.

Most of the marking I do is when I am following game trails or scouting in a new area off trail.

peanut

What - no one uses the Hansel and Gretal method? Bread crumbs? :) I have to laugh as I have actually used bread crumbs before and it worked.

outdoors Joe

It's been a while since I was in Boy Scouts, so the memory of the signs has faded a bit. The Boy Scout trail markings are good to use when you're on hiking trails. They might not work real well if you're in a woods trying to get out because you're lost.

Here's a link that shows what they are:

TRADITIONAL SCOUTING TRAIL SIGNS