Getting The Wild Taste Out

SallyA

I've never hunted, but my dad used to. We'd eat what he got and I remember hearing that you need to get the wild taste out. I don't remember how mom did that. Can anyone tell me?

Grady

I know people have different ideas about this. Something I used to do is marinate the meat. I never cooked any wild game without marinating it for at least a few hours first.

Ilovelife

You can start by soaking the meat in a mixture of salt water and a dash of vinegar for about 3 days. Twice a day change the water. It will draw out the wild taste.

BrittanyG

It depends upon the animal and your personal preferences.

I start with a salt water brine, like Ilovelife mentioned. I change it out 2-3 times a day for 2 or 3 days. Rinse it thoroughly with fresh water before cooking.

Depending on the meat and the preparation, I will augment the flavors with beef stock or bacon.

SallyA

I thought it would be something like that. I'm surprised you soak it for 3 days, though. Why does it take that long?

Fox38

I'm not into the gamey taste either. I don't like vension because of the taste, it's also tough to me. You actually soak meat for 3 days? Wow that is a lot of prep.

greengrass

I also agree that it has to do with the marinade. But you can never really get all of the wild taste out of game. That's what makes it unique.