Giant Tents!

Kooky

A friend of mine just bought a huge tent and I couldn't help but laugh. Where do you guys go to pop those huge things? You obviously aren't going out in the woods because I haven't come across many places that are cleared big enough for those things. I guess you could pop them at lakes and whatever but that would take the fun out of it wouldn't it?

PePaw

Old Fart
I have saw them things from time to time. I prefer my old pup tent I got at the old GI Surplus. It ain't much but it keeps me dry when I need it and keeps the varmits out. I haven't ever understood why some people get such fancy things when going on a camping trip. It just takes the meaning out of it. I guess that's just the new generations though.

Judy Ann

Hey guys. Try carrying a 70 pound tent and pitching it in the rain by yourself just because you want to have a few spare feet between you and the animals on the other side of the canvas. I have a large tent that the parents purchased for me so that I would be more comfortable traveling by myself in my 50's. It has been a great vacation home for two weeks each month since March. If you got it, use it and say thank you very much. My friends think that I'm insane as a woman to venture alone where many men won't and women shouldn't.

Why waste time worrying about the roof another sleeps under? Life is too short to measure others shortcomings. I would prefer instead to invite a hungry person to dinner, give a coat to one who is cold, a warm shower to one who hasn't bathed in a while, and give aid where needed without questions. Lets hike our own hikes, camp or own prefered methods and leave everyone else alone to enjoy the great outdoors in their own way without judgement.

JMO

CozInCowtown

I use an Cabelas Alaknak-II and hi-wall tents on hunting trips.
We pack in to wilderness areas on horseback and pack horses.
2 weeks in a tent that has a wood heater and you can stand up in is pretty nice.
Knock it if you like, I am allways warm and dry.
DC

ChadTower

Life is too short to measure others shortcomings. I would prefer instead to invite a hungry person to dinner, give a coat to one who is cold, a warm shower to one who hasn't bathed in a while, and give aid where needed without questions. Lets hike our own hikes, camp or own prefered methods and leave everyone else alone to enjoy the great outdoors in their own way without judgement.

I really like this woman. That's the person I try to be.

Grandpa

I'm side with Coz and Chad on this one. Take the tent that fits the need. And Judy has a great philosophy on life.

Kooky

I use an Cabelas Alaknak-II and hi-wall tents on hunting trips.
We pack in to wilderness areas on horseback and pack horses.
2 weeks in a tent that has a wood heater and you can stand up in is pretty nice.
Knock it if you like, I am allways warm and dry.
DC
Nice! If you are going to be out for two weeks at a time during cold weather then certainly having a wood heater and large tent is quite ideal. Nice use of a larger tent. :)

rockytibby

I have three tents a small two person for backpacking, then I have a 9' by 11' cabin style for winter, then I have a 11' by 16' for summer camping two weeks or longer. I believe there is a need for different sized tents depending on the season and duration of the trip.

freedommachine

I also have 3 tents for different camping trips. Weather I am backpackings, or trying to stay warm for the winter or summer time camping with a big dome roof. They all have a purpose.

southerngal

We also have different tents for different needs. Someties we don't take the kids and then we don't need so much room. If we were going for a longer trip (like the 2 weeks you guys mention) I would definitely want to have a bigger tent...even if it was just me!

Grandpa

From bivy sacks to 16 man squad tents. They all have their place. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts as to what they require or want.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
We just retired our old pipe tent, and purchased a new one for this summers trip to Yosemite... its an 8x14 if i remember right, and goes up in under a minute... for our needs, its perfect; we aren't backpacking, just doing day hikes. I love that it has 2 rooms, one for the sleeping, one for storage, and chairs to read if the bugs are biting!
I cant wait... less than a month to go!

Ranger

I saw them being used as headquarters in Pathfinder camping when I was in primary school. They are mostly useful in open areas and some camping sites have some space for them too.

frank6160

I like my larger tent. Room to stretch and stand. If weather is too bad to stay out we are not cramped next to each other while inside and in summer more room for airflow so it's cooler.

Lamebeaver

While I can appreciate the benefits of a larger tent, I think the negatives outweight the positives. It's nice to store most of your gear (except food and cooking stuff) in your tent, but:

If you're into primative camping, it's a lot eaiser to find a piece of flat ground that's 8' x 8' than 12' x 16'.

Kids in one tent, mom and dad in the other. I hope I don't need to explain this one. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Smaller tents are less likely to be blown over in a strong wind.

ChadTower

Kids in one tent, mom and dad in the other. I hope I don't need to explain this one. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Oh god. That just brought back a childhood memory of a camping trip with a friend's family. Be aware that the wall of a tent is a perfect silhouette if there is any light at all. We saw a couple things in shadow from his parents' tent that my poor friend will never unsee.