Gifts For A Camper Who Has It All

Nature25

My friend has a birthday coming up and he is obsessed with camping. He has everything imaginable that is camping related and I just don't know what to get him. Is there something new that has just come out that campers just can't live without?

ponderosa

Is he a car camper or a backpacker? Does he hike or paddle or snowshoe or ski or fish? I always love to get good hiking socks...a nice fitted merino wool blend.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The most useful tool for any camper is his or her knife. Your friend undoubtedly already has one of which he is quite fond. That doesn't mean you can't find him an excellent backup. Of course, you may need some help doing that.

Laserwalk

You could buy him some chemicals that would help for making a campfire in seconds. There not toxic for nature, but still you have to use them wisely. Unfortunately i dont remember the name of this chemical.

vinovampire

If a friend or family member is passionate an activity, then I have a policy of not buying gifts aimed at that particular passion. My thinking is that (a) I will never know enough to make a good decision for a person and (b) if they don't already own that item, then there must be a reason. Instead, I try to buy things that fit with a new area of interest in that person's life or something I know that they used to enjoy, but don't focus on doing enough anymore.

If you're determined to get something in the general "passion zone", then you can always get something that supports or reminds the person of that passion. I'd rather get a coffee mug that says: "I'd rather be camping" (with a national parks pass tucked inside) than a new tent I don't want or need. That's my line of thinking anyway.

Grandpa

For the passion hobby, I'd stick to the "disposibles", such as the quality socks, or foodstuffs such as mountain house. Even within these items personal preference exists. If you have access to a friends library, new guide books or trail maps for neighboring areas would be good.