Girl scouts

T

tentrus

I saw the post on boy scouts and that made me think about how disappointed I am with the girl scouts in my area. My cousins all have boys and they are all involved in boy scouts. They do a ton of things. My daughter was a girl scout for years and they did little to nothing.

When I was a girl scout as a kid we did a ton too. Girl scouts in our area has gone downhill.

How is it in your area?

rockin

I've always thought the same thing. I don't think girl scouts do near as much as boy scouts. It's a shame really! My daughter grew bored with girl scouts and quit after only a few years.

MountainMan22

I don't really know what they do. I do see them often trying to sell cookies door to door and at a grocery store. I hope that's not all they teach them is to sell things for someone else.

Grandpa

Cookie time is about the only visible sign of the girl scouts around here. But the churchs and the 4H program all have girls camps in their youth programs. Between those and family trips, my daughters and granddaughters got a healthy dose of outdoors each summer.

This is not indictive of other leaders and other groups but one of my daughters joined the girl scouts and was bored to death within a month or so. Again, that is just one leader in one group, not throwing bad light on the many other good volunteers.

Gwen

I don't see any girl scouts in my area these days. I guess they don't have much activities. They are really not as active as they used to be, but disaster preparedness and emergency training are much more important these days

wvbreamfisherman

It really depends on the leaders. When my daughter was in GS, we did a lot with the girls. Of course all the parents were pretty well into outdoor stuff, so we had plenty of volunteers. Its hard to get kids thgether these days for a hike or an overnighter, they are pulled in so many directions (by their parents, mostly).

SweetSassyLady

Grandpa's got it right. The only time you see them out is when they have cookie selling time. I was never involved in Scouts and the kids haven't been either. Our town doesn't have a big scouting presence so they never asked to get involved. But my kids are involved in FFA and 4-H. That's much more active in my community.

thymas

It's a lot of work to put any troop together, and it seems like there are fewer parents willing to be involved with Girl Scouts. Lots of churches and religious groups sponsor Boy Scouts, but the same opportunities are not found for the girls. I think that's sad, because scouting programs can give such a good basic knowledge of survival skills.

I was a Girl Scout when I was little. We did tons of crafts and outdoor adventures. The next year my family moved, and I joined Girl Scouts again. This time it was a major disappointment. I quit, and that was the end of my Girl Scout adventures. I think it is the lack of good leaders in my area. I never see, nor hear of anything my local Girl Scouts do. Except, as stated, those girls trying to hock their overpriced cookies on me.