glamping

orchard

I do not get it, at all. I can understand maybe wanting a nice thick rich blanket but all the other stuff when you are camping. Seems like its going against the nature rules of the hobby.

IndianaHiker

Some people like to have all the comforts of home all the time. From what I understand it is a growing tourist industry. Hike you own hike 1 guess just not for me either.

Grandpa

To the backpacker, it seems to be a joke to carry all that stuff. But to the backpackers wife in a campground, well, it then becomes necessities. The sad times is when the backpacker thinks he needs it all. It doesn't take many long trips until the newbie backpacker starts to reprioritize his needs.

What we have to remember is a lot of people in this forum are not talking the same trips as others. Each has his/her own priorities. For me, a small bic and a spare book of matches in a ziplock are all the fire starters I need for the entire year. But for others, learning the options are the reason for the trip.

Old age, high altitudes, and desert crawlies makes me enjoy the comforts of my small tent rather than just the tarp I used to carry. But the tarp is plenty sufficient if those three things aren't an issue. Each of us can learn from the other when we are trying something new.

Grandpa

People need to learn what they really do need and what is just added boat anchors in their pack. My pack weight has decreased a lot the last ten years (out of necessity) but I actually am more comfortable now. Better equipment, methods change, new products all help to reduce the weight. I don't try to carry for every eventuality. Each trip is different and my pack contents differ with the trip.

Last edited:

Ilovelife

I am going to sound stupid here, but I have never heard of glamping before. Can someone explain to me what that term means, is it just when people take tons of stuff camping?

Pepsigal

Might as well move the bed out to the porch and save a few dollars!
I agree. You might as well sleep in your backyard or on your deck. I, personally, enjoy getting away when I go camping, not dragging my whole house.

rockytibby

I never knew Those kind of places existed. Wow dont know what to say. And I though an occasional blow up bed meant I was getting soft. what ever floats your boat, I'm not one to judge.

orchard

How the hell do you move all of that crap?
That's what I'm saying! Seriously I read the piece and asked myself secretly where the kitchen sink was? I could understand if made its a retired couple (or even a retired group) but who has that much time on their hands to plan all of that.

JollyRogers

I think some kind of miss the point. Most of theses places don't require you to hike/set-up anything. the only thing you might have to hike in is your wallet.

Someone else will get all of the gear out there and set-up your camp. Most likely you will also have a guide/attendant to do all of the cooking/clean-up and general dirty work.

This industry has been around for years and years. Some people just don't realize how detailed it can become.

Hunters use guides, fishermen charter boats, rich people have this.

Grandpa

I think some kind of miss the point. Most of theses places don't require you to hike/set-up anything. the only thing you might have to hike in is your wallet.
Yes, I missed the original meaning at first until I read the article. It's just I see all to often people on the trails trying to do their own glamping.

Judy Ann

It's just I see all to often people on the trails trying to do their own glamping.
If someone could tell me the secret on how to be a backpacking glamper without paying someone to carry all my stuff I'd try it as soon as the weather gets warmer in the mountains...with a few others...maybe a guide or at least someone who wouldn't get me lost....perhaps. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

freedommachine

I think some people like to show off they have money. They dont care about the camping part as much as they do saying they glamped. Your camping should reflect you. I think to many concern themselfs with spending money just to say they did. One guy is proud of him self and his family because they bought a 30$ walmart tent, then the other person is proud of himself because he glamps and wouldnt be caught dead if he was in the other guys shoes. I hope that makes sense.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like to be very comfortable when I camp. But it doesn't take a genius to improvise and use a collapsible bucket as a kitchen sink or carve a fork out of a suitable piece of wood. I have a lot of gear but I have miniaturized everything to avoid bulk and weight.

I think the thing to avoid is being a "Stranger In Paradise". If you take your house with you, that is what you are. You aren't in nature. You're just viewing it. You might as well be watching it on the nature channel. Being a part of nature is what most of us enjoy. This requires some degree of self reliance, imagination, and adaptability. Anything else and you're just fooling yourself.

Benny

I am usually so worn out by the time I go to sleep on a camping trip, that I am ready to lay down and sleep just about anywhere. And if I wake up early because my "bed" is uncomfortable, oh, well, it just means that I can start my day sooner and enjoy more of nature.

orchard

I have no idea why sometimes money is such an important thing to show off I mean I guess I get it but I am just not that type of person. I enjoy my sleep too but a good bag or even a tolerable mattress will do if I am tired enough.

Michelle

They're having more and more shows on it on TV. I knew I could come here and find an explanation and good opinions on it. I agree--just go in the backyard if that's what you want.