Going tentless -- Hammock Camping

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
I used to live in an old wall tent when I was working as oil field trash and liked it well enough, but got a bit bored with it. I also camped out of a Suburban for hunting. We even camped with only period correct blanket and ground cloth at times for RevWar reenactments, so I am open to many ideas.

Years ago, I got a cheap handmade hammock in Guatemala which I decided to try in camping. With a makeshift rain cover, this worked well -- where there were no mosquitoes. I was hoping that some members might have experience with one of the jungle hammocks that they might share.
Suggestions as to make and model would be especially appreciated.

Frederico

I've never heard of "hammock camping" before but I have to say that it appeals to me. It has to be more lightweight than regular tent camping. Ideal for a one-night trip. I'd also be interested in advice re: gear.

ultimatesurvivor

Why not use a sleeping bag? I understand that a hammock will raise you off the ground thus not loosing heat, but with a good sleeping bag you should get the same insulating effect.

Philly

Sleeping bag is good but you need to have a fire going on through the night to scare away any wild animals in the area where you are camping. For hammock, the problem is with mosquitoes. I guess it is still better to use tents when camping out.

gear-report

Gear junkie
Howdy.
I got into hammock camping a few months ago myself.
For me, it was something new to try after being a ground sleeper for decades.
What I found is that I sleep WAY better in a hammock than on the ground.
Seriously, there is no comparison.
Sleeping in a good camping hammock (not to be confused with a non-camping hammock) has a bit of a learning curve, and good bottom insulation in sub 65F weather, but is a much better experience for me than suffering on the ground.
A bad hammock, or a hammock poorly set up can be a pretty poor experience though.

Benny

A hammock in the backyard is about it for me. Too many mosquitoes! You can't really enjoy it for too long. But a nice cool drink after cutting the grass, laying in the hammock - that's alright!

le Metis

As a merit badge counselor for the Climbing MB an ideal that I've been working on is a week long climbing class at summer camp for older scouts. It would include a multi pitch climb requiring a night on a porta ledge (high tech hammock) as a cap stone experience...

gear-report

Gear junkie
As a merit badge counselor for the Climbing MB an ideal that I've been working on is a week long climbing class at summer camp for older scouts. It would include a multi pitch climb requiring a night on a porta ledge (high tech hammock) as a cap stone experience...
I expect that you'll find a prohibition on porta ledge in the Guide to Safe Scouting.
Too easy for the kids to get hurt.
I think porta ledges are cool... just not for me. :)

le Metis

I expect that you'll find a prohibition on porta ledge in the Guide to Safe Scouting.
Too easy for the kids to get hurt.
I think porta ledges are cool... just not for me. :)
As of yet, there are no regulations in the GTSS concerning porta ledges, and I would limit the height to a max of 10 feet. The program envisioned would set the age limit at 14 being geared for Venture crews...as for safety, I don't believe in safety as it's a false premise that can get one in trouble quickly. Instead, my focus is always on risk management, a carry over from my military, and NOLS training....

gear-report

Gear junkie
As of yet, there are no regulations in the GTSS concerning porta ledges, and I would limit the height to a max of 10 feet. The program envisioned would set the age limit at 14 being geared for Venture crews...as for safety, I don't believe in safety as it's a false premise that can get one in trouble quickly. Instead, my focus is always on risk management, a carry over from my military, and NOLS training....
Sounds like you've got the right approach. :)
I'm sure the kids will enjoy the experience.

EyeOfThePark

I've also been hammock camping a few times. I prefer regular camping, but any new camping experience is welcomed... I have a Hennessy hammock tent; I purchased it online for $200. It has mosquito netting and underquilts.