Going To Be A Dead Possum

RoughRider

I have a possum or two around my place that are driving me crazy. I hunt anyway so I'm thinking of lying in wait for these pests. They have been stealing my outdoor animals food and making a mess on our porches. I thought I had killed one the other night with a club (I hit it on the head), but the darned thing was "playing possum". Should I live trap these pests and move them on down the road or should I just give in and shoot them? They're driving me batty.

jason

fear no beer
I would try and relocate them rather then just killing them. But that is me. I do not want to kill anything unless it posses a threat or I could use it for food.

looey

We tried trying to relocate a few in our area but it never seems to work. Either they have amazing homing skills or someone is bringing them back. We caught at least 6 a few summers back and from what we could tell all were from a different family.

looey

That would be an option but I am not sure I know anyone that would be willing to eat one. I know it would not be on my menu thats for sure.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The Opossum is capable of covering quite a bit of ground and like most animals, they go where the food is. Relocation isn't much of an option unless you are going to trap them in great multiples. And where would you relocate them, your neighbor's?

Shooting them is your best bet but even this will only temporarily solve your dilemma. As long as the food source is there, another one will show up.

Firepit

Some States require that the animal be disposed of if trapped. Many animals can carry rabies and if you relocate that animal and someone gets bit then what.

CZ550hunter

I had a problem with the possums around my house but saddly i live in a residential neighborhood and did not want to break the law / piss off my neighbors by shooting a gun in my back yard to remove the problem animals. I ended up getting a gammo pellet rifle thats capable of shooting a .177 pellet at 1200 FPS. One shot right between the eyes was all she wrote for the largest one in the group (about 25Lbs). I removed it and the other two about six months ago and have not had anymore for teh time being, i am sure that more will come around but for now that was one of the better $150 investments i have made.

hunter44mag

I did the same as CZ550 hunter, only different brand of pellet rifle. You would have to relocate them several miles away to have a chance of success. Killing them is the only sure way. They will make their rounds nightly. If one comes at midnight tonight, it will likely return tomorrow night around midnight.

MosseyOakGirl

Relocation is great however the rules here in Ontario state that a wild animal can not be relocated more than 5KM away. That being said most of these critters will come back to where they live. At the risk of sounding really rednecked accidental death by vehicle works.

Last edited: