Golf carts and alcohol!

campclose

I went to a campground last weekend where a friend has a seasonal campsite. I was scared! There were so many golf carts and "gators" whipping around. The crazy thing is they were adults and they were drunk. They called it a "Whiskey Run". They went from campsite to campsite boozing it up. I highly doubt that I will be going back. My kids almost got ran over twice and they were walking to the bath houses.

wvbreamfisherman

There's nothing you can do that's so stupid, that drinking can't make worse.

I like a drink as much as the next guy, but I keep it moderate, don't get drunk, don't operate anything motorized, and in general don't make an ass out of myself. Too bad lots of others can't manage that.

ppine

Forester
Years ago I played golf in corporate tournaments. People drank sometimes and rolled golf carts. The fun and games end with broken arms and shoulders. Those were common injuries. Golf carts are top heavy and do not like banked or tilted slopes.

Drunks and golf carts are marginally better than drunks with horses, or drunks with snow machines. Can you tell I don't like drunks?

Last edited:

bsmit212

I grew up in a town with golf cart paths and we would drive around after a few drinks, few more than we would cars, but there would still be a point. But would always take it slow whenever around others. The fact they were drunk whipping around a crowded campground with kids running around is not cool. In an area like that you should be going nice and slow

Barney

I bet it was interesting to them. Party poopers are nothing strange when it comes to camping sites all around the world which is why I stay away from them.

Birddog

They have a former KOA in the south central area of Florida where they encourage ATV riding and stuff through the campgrounds and trails (noisy all day and late evening)and a friend of mine asked me to come visit them there and I refused. I like quiet camping and being out in nature to hear things and see things I would normally miss.i don't want to camp at a mud bog weekend kind of place.If that's your thing,good for you,but that's not my idea of camping.I like quiet family time together and feeling like I learned something new each trip.

Last edited:

campclose

I like the duct tape idea! It was just crazy! We did end up going back up there on Friday night. It wasn't as bad. I'm thinking Saturday nights are just bad. They usually have a band that comes to the campground. People get drunk, drive crazy and then end up at the band.

Birddog

we have a state recreation area that has 60 campsites along a lake and a mile or 2 away they have a racetrack on Saturday nights that is loud ! I would only camp there during the week.i heard the noise when I was fishing in the lake one weekend and thought it would be hard to camp there with all that going on.

TakeAHike

I almost got hit by 2 teenagers driving a golf cart on the sidewalk around here a few weeks ago. I just don't understand what they were thinking. The sidewalk is for pedestrians, not motorized vehicles. They were going at least 15 MPH too!

Stargazer

I really hope they did not advertise themselves as a family campground. I would have definitely asked for a refund if they had. If I stay at a campground I prefer ones that designate family-friendly camping.

mccallum

To quote Forrest's Mama "You can't fix stupid!" This is stupid and I most likely would have left posthaste!

fishbills

I went to a campground last weekend where a friend has a seasonal campsite. I was scared! There were so many golf carts and "gators" whipping around. The crazy thing is they were adults and they were drunk. They called it a "Whiskey Run". They went from campsite to campsite boozing it up. I highly doubt that I will be going back. My kids almost got ran over twice and they were walking to the bath houses.
I used to ride around in golf carts when I drank. It was a blast! I never hurt anyone. I haven't touched alcohol since 2011. Golf carts do not go that fast. Your kids should be able to scoot out of the way quickly enough unless they are very young. This is not something that should prevent you from going camping.

BigSur

That sounds like the first time I went golfing with my buddies. I should also note that it was the last time we ever went golfing. My buddy ended up doing donuts in the grass on a hill and I think we were pretty much banned from there after! The green was all tore up, so they weren't very happy.