good hiking boots?

savvyninja

I just found a pair of waterproof New Balance hikers boots for a sweet $100. I didn't know New Balance made hiking boots, and considering how expensive boots can be, I was wondering if anyone has experience using this specific model boot?

IndianaHiker

Sorry no help here. I have only used two brands Merrill and Kayland. Only tried Kayland as I got a pair on a super deal and I now love them. Here is the last pair of boots I bought. I caught them on clearance at a local shop for 80 bucks which was a steal.

Zappos Kayland Vertigo

briansnat

Platnium Member
Other people's experience with this boot (or any) is irrelevant to you. What matters is if they fit you. Boots that one person may rave about may be living hell on another's feet.

The best hiking boot is without exception one that fits YOUR feet.

savvyninja

@briansnat: that's great advice and you are absolutely right. I guess, what I was asking was for opinions on New Balance making hiking boots. Yes, I should get a pair that fit me properly, but I wanted to spark a general gear discussion around trusted footwear manufacturers and the not so trusted, etc.

Newanderthal

Read the reviews and see if anyone has any complaints pertaining to the integrity of the boot. Do they hold up after several months? Has anyone complained about them falling apart? Leaking?

If the reviews don't mention failure, then try them on and walk around. If they fit well and are comfortable for you, then get them.

wvbreamfisherman

I buy nothing but New Balance sneakers, tennis shoes, or whatever the heck thjey are called nowadays. They are one of the few companies that is consistent in sizing, and still sells in letter-widths. They also hold up far better than anything else I ever tried.

Never tried their boots, but I probably will when I need a new pair.

I got a pair of last year's Columbia hikers this summer for $69 and I'm pretty happy with them, although the soles could be a bit stiffer.