Gps

Lightfoot

I can be technically challenged at times, but I'm considering getting a phone with GPS capability since I go hiking all of the time. I think I would feel more comfortable leaving the trail to explore if I had it.

calanta

The new Google Phone is to have some wonky GPS so I doubt I would try for that when hiking. Honestly, we just break it out with a compass sometimes and leave the phones in our bags.

2coastcamper

I've heard good things about the iPhones GPS, but that was mostly people raving about street navigating. Hadn't heard anything about off-road navigation with the iPhone.

If you're interested, you could also just get a GPS unit. That way you could talk to the sales rep and be sure you know what you're getting and what its capabilities are.

lovelife

My son just got an iphone. He loves it!

I haven't heard about any off road gps systems either.

If they do have one, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Gopher

I would rather trust in my old trusty compass. It's gotten me many places and out of some tight spots. It was my father's and in a way I feel like I'm carrying him with me when I go. So he goes with me on every hike I go on.

2coastcamper

I would rather trust in my old trusty compass. It's gotten me many places and out of some tight spots. It was my father's and in a way I feel like I'm carrying him with me when I go. So he goes with me on every hike I go on.
Ha ... I quickly read your post, and thought you said "rusty" compass! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

I agree, nothing can beat a compass ... and its battery never dies! I too always carry a trail map (I love the new waterproof paper they're printed on these days, last time ... there was a fall and a river ... another story) and a compass.

It's also very cool that the compass was your father's.

oldsarge

I prefer to keep my phone packed away high and dry just in case I need it. I wouldn't want my only link to help tied in with my GPS. If something went wrong and you lost or dropped the item in the water you now lost both communications and navigation. I do use/play with my GPS while out hiking/geocaching but I rely on map and compass skills while hiking to get me around. My map, compass and GPS are water proof. The phone is another story though. GPS's have more features than you may ever use and are really helpful in storing locations of important waypoints or routes. If you're looking for something to assist you in hiking, I'd stick with a good hand held trail GPS. DeLorme makes the PN60 with SPOT capabilities. If you're worried about needing help while out in the wilderness this would do the trick. I wouldn't rely on a cell phone. Over all what you carry depends on where you will be hiking, your budget and how much will you pursue this activity. Get proficient with a map and compass, I like to use my GPS to confirm my location and mark special points of interest.

Chippin

I'm directionally challenged. Learning to read a compass is one of those things that I think I can understand, try it, and then realize that no, somehow I get myself lost anyway. The GPS on my phone is a must to me, and while it doesn't reall function off-road, it shows me where the nearest road is from where I've parked, which is normally good enough for me to figure out how to get back.

oldsarge

Chippin/ Same thing with a map, orient it and it will show you where the road is. Obtain an azimuth off the map with your compass and go for it. At least with a map you have an idea of the terrain you will be navigating through. I don't know how detailed your phones map is as far as topography goes. Just because the GPS tells you it's "that way", it doesn't mean that you will not have to cross any major obstacles. My first GPS had no mapping others than major highways and city's. I learned real fast to have a map and compass at hand. It's just good basics to know and develop.

Last edited: