Grandkids

Dannytoo

Haven't posted much but read a lot of the information from y'all.
Kind of excited about my next camping trip. I am taking a weeks vacation and taking three of my grandkids to Mesa Verde, Colorado for a week of camping and exploring. We all are looking forward to the sites we'll see and just having lots of fun.
Several of my friends say I have lost my mind because I am doing this by myself, their ages are 7, 10, and 13 the oldest is my granddaughter. I am still looking forward to spending time with them. I know this will be a hoot.

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

Tell your friends they don't know what they are missing if they don't spend time alone with thier grandchildren. The way you're doing it is the best way I know of to spend time with them. Let us know how it goes.

ponderosa

Mesa Verde is amazing. I have great memories of trips with my grandma at those ages. As an adult, I've tried to re-pay her a little by taking her on lots of trips (one to mesa verde actually). She is in a nursing home now, & those memories are priceless. You're doing a good thing.

CozInCowtown

Take binoculars when looking at the paintings!!!
You can see them a lot better even though you are only feet away.
That will be a great trip!
DC

Grandpa

Time is your most precious commodity, especially when you spend it with kids and grandkids.

Grandpa

Grandma and I visited Mesa Verde with granddaughter and great grandson this spring. It is an awesome place and the Puebloian cities are beyond belief. But for that real closeness to how these people lived, I've found the remote canyon ruins really put their lives in perspective. The ruins may not be much now, but enough to realize how life must have been for them. I've had the opportunity to visit many small sites in the Grand Gulch and Cedar Mesa plateau of So. Utah. I always feel a closeness, even sometimes a presence there with the Anasazi. It is really a spiritual experience to walk among their ruins, trying to see where they planted their crops and looking at their defenses.

I've looked at many pictographs and petroglyphs trying to figure out what they were trying to say. Is there a message for me? Or are they just doodleing? And what are these strange animals? Are they really that bad of artists or were there different animals than what we know. Is that a diving bird or is it some form of mechanical flying object? But if a diving bird, why the vertical stabalizer rather than horizontal tail feathers?

Each visit, I come away with more questions than answers, and with more respect for their closeness to nature and the physical world in which we live. These things I have shared with my kids, many of my grandkids and soon, I will be able to share them with great grandkids. I can't give my kids answers to all their questions, but I can instill in them the desire to ask their questions and to seek the answers.

Dannytoo

Thanks for all the replys and ideas as to how to enjoy the sites. This is the first of several trips to the national parks. The decision was made that I would take 3 of the six grandkids to a different park each year. Each of my daughters have three children, ages ranging from 17 to 7. I have rented a popup camper so we will be staying in the parks. When we return from this trip I will start planning the next to Rocky Mountian National park.
These trips are now on the top of my bucket list.

Pathfinder1

I've looked at many pictographs and petroglyphs trying to figure out what they were trying to say. Is there a message for me? Or are they just doodleing? And what are these strange animals? Are they really that bad of artists or were there different animals than what we know. Is that a diving bird or is it some form of mechanical flying object? But if a diving bird, why the vertical stabalizer rather than horizontal tail feathers?

Hi...

Yes, they certainly have some interesting petro's and picto's. IMuHO they are of 'things' which existed then...but no longer exist now.

And you're right...what are those strange 'things'.

PS...Some of my favorite cultures are the Anasazi and the Mississippians.

Last edited: