Group Tent Situations

Telna

When you are camping with a group how do you like to set up your tent situation? Do you like to have fewer bigger tents or many small tents?

Personally I like my privacy so I would rather have a small one so I have a place to escape.

southerngal

Definitely have to have our own tent... We can all spend three or four days together, but like you said I have to have somewhere to "escape" if I need to.

mountainguy

When we are out camping it's usually only me and my girlfriend in the tent. It would get a little weird if there was a third person in there. Than again on occasion I had to share tents with other people.

Grandpa

When backpacking I share my tent only with my dog.

When in a campground, Grandma wants a big tent and I want a small tent and both of us for the same reason. Because the grandkids want to sleep with grandma and grandpa.

ryoga-kun

Sharing a big tent with people sucks.
I prefer individual or pairs but no more unless it's really cold outside.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've changed over the years. I used to bring a 3 or 4 person tent and we'd sleep together. After years of having people snore in my ear and waking up at all hours and crawling over me to answer the call of nature, I purchased a solo tent.

The only person I share a tent with now is my wife. If I'm out with a group of friends or strangers I go solo.

twilight

I'm with you briansnat. You can hear them snore even from the next tent. My pack definitely requires its own base camp!

Hazel

As a kid, camping with the cousins, 'The more the merrier' was the way to go. The last few times I've gone its been with my boyfriend. I love him with all my heart and he protected me from those crazy, party all night racoons but he snores. I'm thinking about a personal tent but "Honey Bunny" can't be too far away.

rockin

We always take 2 tents for my family alone - 1 for us parents and the kids always have their own with their friends in it. They like to be on their own. Of course their tent is right next to ours.

Anyone else that camps with us has their own tent too. I'm not into sharing tents unless it's with my family.

campershell

I don't share tents with strangers and sharing with friends is not very conducive to sleeping or at least getting a reasonable amount of rest so I take my own. But I always set up near someone I know, for safety reasons.