Has Anyone Ever Been Mugged On A Hike?

Shanna

I haven't and I haven't ever heard of it but this is one of the things that scare me when we go off on our own. I know you can be mugged with thousands of people around (in New York at least), but do you think hikers would be more apt to help someone?

Bumpkin

Thankfully, I haven't had this happen to me either, but I understand your concern. I often hike a trail through a local park and I have come across some rather unsavory people from time to time. I try to avoid going by myself because it is a very remote location and apparently some drug dealers have figured this out. I believe people who hike (or camp or fish or whatever) who are out there because of a love of nature would definitely be helpful to a fellow outdoorsman in need, but it never hurts to keep your eyes open just in case.

Shanna

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. When we go hiking without the kids there is only my husband and I but still there are some really strange looking people out there sometimes. The drug trade has made some strange bedfellows and some strange places are turning into exchange places. Of course the rangers are out on the trails also, but they are spread few and far between what with the budget cuts.

Gopher

Hey, I think I've seen those same guys! No seriously though, it is always in the back of my mind if I meet someone on the trail. Especially if we are off the beaten track. Never strike out on your own these days, you never know who you may meet.

claire

I haven't been mugged, but I try to only hike with my fiancee. We always go with a group and try to stick to stuff that's on well marked and well known trails. A friend of ours was mugged once, but it was in a place that had been targeted recently, so we just stay away from there.

southerngal

Fortunately I have never had this happen to me but we go camping and hiking in groups just to be safe. I would never consider going out on my own.

smore

My husband and I were in Marguerita Island for vaction. We decided to go on a hike out on this rocky area by the beach. We got half way down the beach and were stopped by a security guard. He told us that if we went any further it was at our own risk. He said the many people who hike in this area are mugged for their shoes, jewlery and money.
Needless to say, we turned around and just walked on the beach instead.

Pebbles

Well, this is kind of a scary topic, but I guess you have to think about it and make sure you are safe. I very rarely hike alone, so I guess it's safety in numbers for me.

3ofusnow

You know it's really easy to forget to be careful in situations like this but these days you just never know about people. We tend to hike and camp in groups.

jason

fear no beer
I've never had a problem. About the worst I've seen is people ignoring you when you say hello on the path.

2coastcamper

There was a guy on here a few months back, Newanderthal.

Anyway, he went on a one-year journey all over the U.S. (Last time I checked in, he was in the northeast). Well, he got robbed while in New York. The assailant stole New's smallest bag, which had his journal in it. :(

I'm sure when he gets back, he'll tell us all his stories.

Reese

I've never had a problem with it. I like to think that it is more of a problem at parks because their is a higher volume of people.

amanda

I was mugged once when I was camping alone many years ago. It was a dumb choice on my part to go out without anyone. I haven't done it since. It took me a while before I'd camp at all after that.

Gopher

Gosh, I didn't really think it was this much of a problem. I don't go out on my own though, so I feel fairly safe. It's a shame that people are not safe anywhere these days. I am not so concerned about being mugged but the fact that some of these sickos like to beat you up as well. It's a real shame.