Have you tried noodling?

CFlyer

I know that this is prohibited in most states but have ever think of trying this kind of fishing? I think this kind of fishing is for people who are not afraid of snakes or snapping turtles.

Will I be fined if I will be caught noodling?

Bumpkin

Not only have I never tried it, I don't even know what it is, lol.

If it is illegal, I would think you would definitely be fined if caught, and possibly even arrested. Wildlife and Fisheries doesn't play games when it comes to illegal activities.

Archer

I haven't tried it...something about putting my hand in dark places I can't see into just bothers me. I feel like I would give it a try if there was some gauruntee of there being no snapper turtles or snakes, but that's next to impossible.

Mandy

Not only have I never tried it, I don't even know what it is, lol.

If it is illegal, I would think you would definitely be fined if caught, and possibly even arrested. Wildlife and Fisheries doesn't play games when it comes to illegal activities.
Noodling is basicly reaching in and catching catfish by hand. Here is the link to a good video that not only explains just what noodling is but shows a good example.

Noodling for Catfish :: Reel Road Trip with Mark Melnyk | World Fishing Network

Smokey

A friend of mine who lived in Georgia for a while was the first person to tell me about noodling. As much as I like fishing, I'm not sure I could stick my hand inside the mouth of a giant catfish.

Reese

I didn't even know what it was, but now that I know, I don't think it would be something I would want to do. I don't think I would be very good anyway! =)

Bumpkin

Thanks for the explanation, but now I have another question - why is it illegal? If someone wants to fish that way I don't see what the problem is.

Illeism

I don't believe it is illegal in many places. People do it around here all the time but I'm not going to use my body parts for bait for anything, ever. I don't care how much of a rush it is.

enzo

I haven't tried noodling but I don't think I'm going to use my hands to catch fish. I'd rather use a rod and bait to catch some fish.

campclose

No Way! I'm not going to try to grab a fish! Who knows what else I would grab! I'm so scared of snakes! I'm not sticking my hand anywhere!

HillbillyMama

My husband thinks it is just awesome. I keep telling him one day he is going to reach off in there and an alligator or snake or some other creature is going to get him. I hate that he is into it now. So scary to me!

Flannelshirt

Wow, that's a crazy video. People who do that are either crazy or brave or a little of both. :D Not something I'd want to do. I'll stick with my rod and reel.

Hilltopper

I just saw this on a sitcom a few weeks ago. I would have never thought of using any part of me as bait to catch a fish. Guess I'm just a city kid at heart.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

wildberry

Noodling is only legal in 13 states. Here in Kansas, it is called hand fishing by the state (noodling by lots of fishermen). You have to purchase a seperate license and follow certain rules. And, there is only a certain season for it, too.

We have spoonbills in a couple of rivers in Kansas. They a type of giant catfish and people catch them in season by snagging. It is quite a big deal. I don't think you are supposed to noodle those guys.