Head Lamp

Grandpa

Getting old and stiff but still have great peripheral vision. So my trail at night light still remains a AAA 2 cell mag lite so I don't have to turn my head to the side so much. I also like the long distance focus so I can see the eyeballs glowing in the dark long before I get there. I also use a multi led, variable focus headlamp in camp work where I need two hands. Can't say which is primary and which is secondary. I use them both. The two lights (plus two lighters) are the only duplications in my bacpacking kit. Well, maybe two shoes and two socks as well.

huullk

I have a sort of cheap Coleman headlamp. It's a plain two settings white light that does the trick for me. It's got pretty good battery life, too.

Sure, it doesn't have the super long range of some of the more expensive models. Then again I use it in the woods most of the time, and it shines as far as you can see without trees and brush being the obstacle to sight.

Most of the time I stick to a 1 AA River Rock LED flashlight. The battery lasts bloody forever and has had the crap kicked out of it and kept coming back for more. It's plenty bright for situations where you dropped your keys at night or the lights went out and you need to find candles.