Hi, y'all

hikinmike

I go by 'hikinmike'. Am 62 and since early teens have preferred the woods, swamps, above tree-line meadows and beaches, to downtown. Once upon a time all our gear was military surplus. So glad for the modern, lighter, sturdier, high tech stuff. Have lived in NYS, PA, South Carolina, and Florida. Have found great Outdoors in all. Have been treated to treks in the Sangre de Cristo and San Juans of Colorado, Capitol Reef & The Grand Staircase (prior to it being named that) of Utah and the Coastal Range west of San Jose.

Came down with rheumatoid arthritis in my mid-thirties and had to modify my activity to match the limitations imposed by the disorder. My wife is ill and my friends are older, so we now find out-of-the-way places where we can car camp without the boombox and fireworks crowd being nearby. Have found my natural habitat along the Redneck Riviera and can't wait to try some backwater kyak camping. Birding along this coast is fantastic!

No longer (for quite a while) spook game or irritate fish. But don't look down my nose at those who do. I believe all of us who 'use' the Outdoors have much at stake, and can protect our cherished 'resource' by co-operating, and finding common ground (pun intended) with each other.

Tread lightly and touch the Earth.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. How are things up there? Looking forward to seeing you around the site, sounds like you have had some great experiences.