Hiking Alone Or Hiking In A Group

Traveler

Which do you prefer when you go hiking, hiking alone or with a group of people? I always prefer hiking alone because I don't have to wait or think about the others when I'm in a group. But I also hike with my friends occasionally.

jason

fear no beer
I'll take friends or family with me once in a while. The problem is I usually end up caring all the water and everything else. So I find it easier just to hike by myself most times.

HappyFeet

I also like hiking alone because I can do anything I want and I can go anywhere without considering anyone. When I'm in a group, I always go along with the group wherever they go and I can't stop when I want to relax.

nomad

I often hike with groups because I like to share the experiences while hiking. I seldom go hiking alone for I easily get bored and lonely when I'm all alone.

OutTheBackDoor

We don't hike too many places but when I do, I prefer to have people with me. We usually stay to marked trails so it's not a wilderness hike by any stretch.

Ted

I like to go by myself. No one to slow me down or hurry me up. I love to observe wildlife so I watch for critters while I'm out to photograph. I would rather be by myself any time.

nymike

Just me and the wilderness

There's a lot to be said about a solitary hike; you pick the speed, when you stop, how often you stop, and there's no deadline.

Problem is, I do a great deal of hiking in the Southwest, and one is a real lonely number should something go wrong out there. I've had two or three close calls, caused by just that second of inattention and believe me, it's not fun.

Remember the guy who went out alone, got his wrist trapped by a rock and had to cut off his own hand? Then, let's throw in animal attacks and your solitary hike becomes, shall we say, interesting.

Caution and common sence rule the day in most cases, and they've served me well through 30 years of hiking - except for those three times....

MtnManLeap

I am only to happy to go it alone..........But I have learned a trick that works well for me. I will go hiking with someone but the only differance is We don't hike together. We have a basic trip plan, we carry all of our own gear, and set our own pace. We meet nightly and at the end of the trip. Thus I get to keep my hand because someone will be looking for me

Bradsalex

I enjoy hiking alone...although I never get a chance to do it. I like to take my family out with me but there are times when I would like to just go off and spend all day out there. A 5 year old and 2 year old don't accommodate that very well. We enjoy that short hikes but I would be much happier doing a 10+ mile or a weekend 40 mile trip. I have a friend that used to do a lot of backpacking in the boy scouts that I like to go with too. Our families usually go together, then he and I will head further on the trail while the family goes back to the car.

But all-in-all to answer the question I would much rather hike alone.

HikerChick

I'm an alone hiker for the most part; if it is going to be a group thing, I prefer a group of 4 or less. I once took an entire class of high schoolers on a hike, and it was such a chore keeping the go-getters going slowly enough and the slowpokes fast enough so that we didn't lose anyone.

failghe

I usually go it all alone with my 2 dogs, so maybe not totally alone. The girlfriend cannot keep up or go as far, so when she goes it is a short 1-3 miles. I like the 5-10 miles or longer depending on time.

oldsarge

I like being alone most of the time. On occasion I will go with a few others, but there's nothing better than the solitude of being out there alone in the peace and quiet.

IndianaHiker

Movie 127 Hours

For reference: Aron Ralston was his name. He was in canyons in Utah. If anyone hasn't read his story yet; it's worth the read ... Google it.
The movie is also very good its called "127 Hours" and is in theaters now. The book is called "Between a Rock and a Hard Place"

hikinmike

I used to frequently hike and backpack alone. Have made a few friends along the way that are always enjoyable companions. Having acquired some limitations, it's now wiser to be out with some company. I've always benefited from the company of people who can teach or show me something new, or heretofore unknown.

Rider One

It depends on my mood and my goals for the trip. There are outings where it's about the bonding of friends and family, and then there are treks when it's a spiritual bonding I'm after, and that's when I go alone.