Hiking Boots?

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
Whats your favorite brand of hiking boots? I'm looking for a new pair and would like your input! Thanks!

sticks

Señor Member
That is a loaded question...I like leather lined Norwegian welt boots made by Limmer Boots...others go with a good pair of trail runners, some swear by Hy-teck, Salomon, Vasque, Kayland, Scarpa, Keen, Merrell...or, or, or...It comes down to personal preference really. Brands fit different feet better than others. Some run narrow, others wide. Here is a link to Backpacker.com's online reviews and after that my best advise is to go to stores and try on several different pair and walk around the store and see how they feel. If you choose a pair, go home and wear them around the house for week or so that way you can take them back if they don't feel good.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-2011-online-boot-reviews-gear-zone/gear/15226

Last edited:

sticks

Señor Member
If you are an an LL Bean Fan their Crestas have always gotten great reviews by users and backpacker.

perchbutt

perchbutt
Don't forget to check out hunting boots. Some of these are made for covering territory w/ a load of gear. Danner's last for years, but are narrow for my feet- takes a couple years to get them broken in, then they're fabulous. Rocky Boots feel like walking on air the minute they come out of the box if you're a high arch person, but I find they spring leaks after only a couple years. Good boots are as essential to a happy life as good coffee. Save your pennies, buy good ones.

IndianaHiker

Keen are good boots but fit is the biggest thing. When you try on various boots you will find that some brands simply don't work for you. For example. I have many friends that love Vasque. However I can't wear them they hurt me feet.

sticks

Señor Member
Keen has gotten great reviews by media and wearers. I know a couple of people that love them.

Besides arch support, two other areas to watch for is heel slip and toe box room. Both will cause blisters and pain. When you walk down a slop your toes should not jam into the front of the shoe...unless you like losing toenails.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
Thanks for all your input... I hear you on the box box room... I do the 39.3 mile Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, and with the hills of Santa Barbara, I need toe room!!! LOL

I'm going to head over to Sports Chalet after work today as a starting point!

Michael

I'm a fan of Vasque. I found a pair that actually fits my feet, which is a really rare thing. They required no time to break in, and they're totally waterproof.

IndianaHiker

I'm a fan of Vasque. I found a pair that actually fits my feet, which is a really rare thing. They required no time to break in, and they're totally waterproof.
Not dogging your response Michael as I respect your opinions just using this to show pint I brought up before. The point was that one needs to try on different brands. Because one will find that different brands fit differently. What I like you may hate as you'r foot will be slightly different shape than mine.

I love the look of Vasque great boot for the price point and all and all a wonderful boot. BUT I cant wear them. They simply don't fit the shape of my feet.

Michael

Not dogging your response Michael as I respect your opinions just using this to show pint I brought up before. The point was that one needs to try on different brands. Because one will find that different brands fit differently. What I like you may hate as you'r foot will be slightly different shape than mine.
There is no one correct tool. There are only tools that are good or bad for particular individual in a particular set of circumstances.

Which is the longer way of saying that I agree.