Hiking Poles

oldsarge

Still trying to get my picks to upload, no luck so far

Last edited:

Randy Jay Braun

Gotta use poles. You will be able to hike farther, and keep your balance on dangerous trails. They will save you if you carry a heavy pack down a steep rocky slope. Go for spring-loaded $100 poles.
~r

ticehouse

just got poles for $16 at sierra trading post.com, look like pretty good quality for the money. I have never used pole so, for 16 bucks i thought i would give them a try.

oldsarge

Well! I finally got it...any way this is the final result of my project. It's held up for over two years now.

Last edited:

koolaidguzzler

Use an earlier version of the LEKI Wanderfreund. Adjustable aluminum pole with a cork-covered walking-cane style handle. I like the cane style horizontal grip much better then the vertical hiking pole grip. If it was easier to find good wooden walking canes that were about 40-42 inches long, I'd probably go that way.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
At least part of the reasons some hiking poles are more expensive are the craftsmanship and materials that enhance the weight to strength ratio. The lighter the poles, the better they feel over long miles.

I have used several makes and models of poles over the years and am currently using Black Diamond Alpine carbon fiber poles with the flick locks for years now. My old Lekis used to collapse during snow hikes but the flick locks have never budged.

A pair of poles makes negotiating the rough terrain and canyon country much easier, safer and faster. In those places where scrambling is necessary the poles collapse and ride on the side of the pack. They do take a lot of weight and impact off the legs and knees and add stability on the more precarious surfaces. The straps on the poles are used as much as the handles for locomotion and power.

koolaidguzzler

I've heard stories from both twist lock and flick lock users about collapse, which leads me back to the idea that if people want bullet-proof gear, they usually have to sacrifice with additional weight of wooden staffs or the one-piece aluminum poles/staffs. However, I've never heard of collapse problems from users of the accordion/corded poles like the Volkstaf and its fishing cousin, the Folstaff. But that hiking staff style isn't my preference.

Great comment about the straps. I think many users don't understand or exploit the functionality of straps in locomotion.

I have used several makes and models of poles over the years and am currently using Black Diamond Alpine carbon fiber poles with the flick locks for years now. My old Lekis used to collapse during snow hikes but the flick locks have never budged.
The straps on the poles are used as much as the handles for locomotion and power.

charley

I have used wooden hiking sticks in the past. I now have walmart metal poles that are adjustable. They help my balance and my knees. It is nice that I can take them down to under 2' and put them on my pack. They help on uphills and protect knees. I would never have used them in my 30's but if I had maybe my knees wouldn't be so bad in my 60's.