Hiking With Children

hydethebeef

Hiking with children can be really nice. When I hike with my youngest I find that I stop to smell the roses more. I also find myself teaching about hiking and nature. Sometimes I don't realize how much I know.

sailorman

I agree, there are times when I want to hike alone, but there are other times where I feel enriched by having the kids with me. It is nice to see nature through their eyes.

Grandpa

Blessed here because I have a herd of grandkids that love hiking and backpacking. It is a joy when they can come with.

Malarkey

Is there anything better than hiking with your kids, but not when they are too small since can be a pain to manage? The best is the age where they can appreciate the knowledge you will give them.

SunnyDay

Hiking with kids really is a joy. I think it's just important to remember that it's a fun hike and not a forced march. Kids have a lot of energy but not always the best stamina.

Miley

I think kids and hiking, can go either way. It all depends on the personality of the child. I was babysitting my cousin's kids, and decided to take them on a small hike. One kid loved hiking and exploring, while the other complained the whole time.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, I hiked my nephew around my land. He's three and he hung in there and didn't complain. After walking up and down hills and climbing up some 75 degree hillocks, he got tired. He kept trying to go but I could see he wasn't up to it. So I lifted him into my arms and carried him the last half mile to get to my cabin.

I was proud of him and told him so. What he did was fall asleep on the bed while I lit the fire and prepared dinner. He woke up, ate dinner and he fell asleep again. The next morning all he could talk about was going on another "venture" (his word for adventure).

I love that kid.

ponderosa

We had our four year old on cross-country skis for the second time last week. She was able to go once the end of last winter. She was starting to get the kick-and-glide thing, and making it down small hills without falling every time. "Look at me, I'm gliding and sliding and riding on my skis!" It was awesome. Meanwhile, the 2 year old being pulled in the kid trailer was crying, "Let me out! I want to ski!" until she fell asleep.
She'll start learning next winter. They both got to stomp around in the snowshoes they got for Christmas. And they play "going hiking" at home as often as they play "house." I love those little outdoorsy babies.

hiking_and_biking

I think kids and hiking, can go either way. It all depends on the personality of the child. .
I agree with you there. I'm all about teaching your children to get out and about and I'm definitely all about encouraging exercise and connecting with nature, but there's nothing I hate worse that being within earshot of a spoiled brat on a nature trail, whining and complaining b/c their parents "made me come on this stupid hike"!! (True story.)

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I enjoy taking my kids with me but it is a lot of work. I think it is easier to take 4-5 of them since they seem to keep themselves entertained. When it's just my kids they are done after about 3 miles but I have gotten them to do almost 8 miles with friends.

ChadTower

Well it depends on the age of the kid and their experience level. They are like adults that way. You can't expect a kid who isn't used to hiking to do an 8 mile out and back. It's asking too much of them just like it is with an adult.

I have yet to meet a kid that, given an appropriate hike in a good place, does not enjoy it. Just like anyone else some need to be eased into it more than others, and some need more personal attention than others, but they all find some reason to get into it. They key is not interfering with whatever style they have for interacting with their surroundings. Some are purely driving to see what is next. Go, go, go! Others want to stop and examine things every 500 feet.

I remember on Mt Monadnock in NH a few years ago my older son found an orange salamander crossing the trail. He loved that thing and for 30 minutes it was his whole world. A first all I could think about was dwindling sunlight and how many miles we had left. After ten minutes of that, though, I said screw it look how happy he is, I want some of that. I sat down with him and watched the salamander crawl across the trail. I would never have done that if I were by myself and that's one of my favorite hiking memories of the last few years.

oldmangunner

I think starting young is the best way to go. We started with our kids before they could walk. Little by little they walked more and more. Now all of our children love the outdoors. If you take a child who has never been hiking you can not expect too much of them.