How did you discover camping?

RandySki

I was first exposed to camping as a Boy Scout and have loved it ever since. It's great to get into nature and away from electronic devices.

ppine

Forester
Camping goes back at least 5 generations in my family. We have all grown up with it. My grandfather and great-grand father use to take a wagon for 2 weeks to Mt St. Helens every summer to climb "the mountain." Grandpa Hite had a wooden leg lost in a mining accident near Cripple Creek, CO but it never stopped him.

Lorax

Camping and enjoying the outdoors is a long tradition in my family also. I was lucky enough to grow up knowing it and having parents that took me out in it quite often.

It's all I've ever wanted and all I've ever done with the exception of Drum and Bugle Corps for 17 years. If I wasn't playing my horn, I was outside. It's still all I ever want to do.

I don't even pay attention to sports, can't name more than probably 6 basketball teams, don't know whether to run or stay on a fly ball, don't know how the score works in football and could care less. I might become a spectator if ever the day comes where I can't be outside anymore. Until then, I'll be hiking, paddling or doing something else out there.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
My grandfather and uncle were both big hunters. They would go camping and had all the "stuff". My earliest memories were camping at Myrtle beach state park in my grandfathers giant duck-canvas looking green and yellow four person tent with big poles that would be right at home as part of a chain link fence. It was definitely a car camping tent, and HOT.

Bojib

I was pretty much born into it. I've been going camping for as long as I can remember. I was also in the boyscouts, and did a lot of camping there too.

Grandpa

Great grandpappy showed up here in November of1864 in a covered wagon with a wife and a 6 month old baby. They lived in the covered wagon that winter (early style motor home, 4 horsepower) and every other day he would take the team up the canyon and cut a big Douglas Fir and drag it home. Then he'd saw off the length he needed for the cabin and use the rest for firewood. Guess it has been camping in this family ever since. I still remember bits and pieces of my first trip to Yellowstone at the age of 3 or 4 in the old model A.

brandi

I was raised camping alot my family loves it and now that im older i still love it. theres nothing like the feel of sleeping outdoors and waking to the cool crisp mornings.

Lamebeaver

I grew up on a dairy farm, and we didn't do much (read any) camping, or traveling either for that matter. I remember sleeping in a cardboard box in the back yard when I was about 6 until the mosquitoes drove me inside, so I'd say the bug was always there.

Hikenhunter

Growing up,I spent as much time outside as I could. Played in the creek whenever I could ands had frogs and turtles for pets every summer til grandpa made me turn them loose in the fall. I grew up in a small town and we all "SLEPTED OUT" in each others backyard all summer long. Joined the Boy Scouts when I was 12 and camped out with them for 2 years before I quit. Then in my teens I went camping with friends once in a while. Got married at 19 and my outdoor focus was on hunting and fishing until my son joined Boy Scouts and I became a leader. I was 31 years old at that time and I've been hooked in mind, body, and spirit ever since.

ejdixon

Also first got exposed to camping through my dad when I was a kid. It's something that I would say has been passed down from father to son. Dad got it from my grandfather and I got it from my dad.

TroyS

First taste of camping with me was with my dad as well. He loved the outdoors, and that was the best way he knew to bond with me and my brothers. But I have to admit that it was only when I was in college, and I went out camping with my friends a few times that I really got to appreciate it. Since then, it just grew on me.

Yhonny Yuma

It was me and a friend got the idea and made a tent from an old blanket and my back yard and we stay out back for two days till it rain and then we heard they had a boy scout troup not far from us and we joined up. that lasted for awhile then me and him did a few more time .I got back into camping with my wife and kids and even got to camp out over in Spain in the mountains and that was a trip.

Mudder

I'm 35. First experience was as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout (I got up to Webelos -- Next step was Eagle Scouts which I never pursued). Next camping endeavor was as a teenager -- We'd have drunken tent parties at campsites (something I don't condone). Then one time my mom and her boyfriend and my sister and I got a "cabin" at a lake in Minnesota for about a week. After a decade after that, I finally had the money to start building up my camping supplies. Two of the things that I would never sell, even if I was living under a bridge, is my cd collection & my dog & my camping gear :)

AK Hunter

I have always loved being outdoors as a child my brothers & I would throw a tarp over the clothes line in the back yard, then camp out in it. It was lots of fun even thou it was only our backyard. This was before the family could afford a tent.

cwolfman

Having grown up and lived pretty much my whole life in the Mountain West, I pretty much have been camping since I was born, save for a couple months early on. My parents never had a lot of money, so the family getaway was always a long weekend camping up in the mountains of Colorado or New Mexico....near one of dad's or grandpa's favorite fishing holes. It's just what we did, and we did it often.

I never thought a whole lot about it until I was older and had college friends from other parts of the country who had never set foot in a national forest before. It was then that I truly realized how fortunate I was....and I could really appreciate having grown up in an area with so much natural beauty all around.

New Mexico is an outdoorsmen's paradise. In fact, if you aren't into being outdoors and outdoor recreation...or otherwise into Native American culture/art, etc...there's really not much going on. If you love being outdoors, NM is just one massive playground, especially considering there something for just about everyone from desert/high desrt to grass lands to ponderosa forested mountains.....rivers and streams, lakes....whatever your heart desires.

hikeorbike

I think my first time was in Brownies when I used to go away for weeks at various summer camps. After that, my mom and I often stayed at campgrounds to save money when we were moving across the country.

emilyblack06

It was my dad who brought me every time he camps with his friends when he was little. since then I was exposed to camping and been addicted to it especially in forests and strange places. I really enjoy camping!

briansnat

Platnium Member
When I was a kid I used to love thumbing through my dad's old Boy Scout manual, focusing on the chapters about camping. The idea of spending the night in the woods was very appealing to me. But dad wasn't a camper. Said he had enough of it in the Army.

Fast forward to my college fraternity days. We didn't have a fraternity house, so for our "hell weekends" we'd rent a house somewhere for a few days. One year the house fell through days before Hell Weekend. Someone suggested that we camp at a place he knew of in the western Catskills.

It was more a party in the woods than camping. Kegs of beer, car stereo cranking all weekend. I didn't own a tent so I'd find empty floor space in someone's tent at the end of the evening. I didn't even have a sleeping bag, I slept in my dad's ankle length Army overcoat. But I was sleeping in the woods and loved it.

Fast forward a few more years to my mid 20's and my younger brother started accumulating backpacking equipment. He had backpacked some in the Boy Scouts when he was younger (I was never a Boy Scout) and wanted to get back into it. So I started ordering equipment myself. Every pay week I'd get a package from LL Bean. Hiking boots one week, tent the next, then stove, pack, sleeping bag, etc. Once I had pretty much all I needed I went on my first backpacking trip in The Catskills with my then girlfriend and have loved camping ever since.

Last edited: