How do you like to camp?

clewand550

How does everyone like to camp? Do you like to camp on a crowded campground where everyone is on top of you or where the campsites are very close to one another? Do you like to camp on a quiet campground where there are hardly anyone on the same campground? Do you like to hike in the woods and camp where there is absolutely no one around? Do you like to camp where they allow trailers? Do you like to camp in a trailer?

I love a nice quiet and peaceful campsite in the woods. I love to camp in the woods where I am all alone with my family. I'm okay with a few other campers around as long as they are spaced a good distance away. I love to listen to the sound of the campfire roaring and the sound of wildlife instead of people talking next to me. I love the privacy. How about you?

Lorax

My top four:
1. wilderness padling (river or lake)
2. Backpacking
3. Winter backpacking or snowshoeing
4. Using the camper in National Forest campgrounds with no hook-ups or dispersed camping (boondocking)

CozInCowtown

With the wife and kids it is generally in the 5th wheel or one of the high walls if they wanna "rough it".
:rolleyes:
I personally enjoy packing into the wilderness area in Colorado on horseback with pack horses and highwall tents.
DC

Lamebeaver

I don't like campers or campgrounds.

Give me a high mountain offtrail lake anytime. Here's one of my favorites:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I camp for several reasons. One is because I'm too far out to get back, two is because I am on an extended hunt or a fishing trip that doesn't allow one to go home every evening. I've camped in crowded areas but I certainly don't prefer it. I'd rather listen to nature than six different genres of "music", screaming children, drunks, raucous laughter, fisticuffs, and automobiles.

I like the quiet, the scenery, and smells that do not include auto exhaust and someone else's barbeque grill.

Gondor

I like quite places, but you will rarely find a place secluded enough to be so quiet. Nevertheless I'm always scouting for such location and setting my camps there.

Mr.E

I prefer winter camping... I prefer ridge top camping (Rule of thumb: what hikes down must hike up. ...and I generally don't like hiking uphill at the end of a trip)
I prefer to backpack, but as I get older and more out of shape, this is less attractive. Have taken to parking on the side of the road and carrying out a pack full about a 1/2 mile or so... unpack it... and hike back to the car and reload the backpack...
Will camp in campground with my wife and kids... prefer the ones with a shower house ;) (Kids are filthy things, and my wife's a clean freak)

TroyS

I'd much prefer camping in quiet places where there is less people and more of nature to enjoy. Since we camp with kids, there are times when my wife and I need to brace ourselves to stay in rather crowded and really "commercialized" campgrounds. Not really our thing, but seeing how much our kids enjoy these places (Jellystone campground, Disney's Fort Wilderness), it's definitely worth the sacrifice.

Hikenhunter

Wilderness camping , no matter how I get there, Copper, my 4 legged pal, and myself is just fine with me. A couple of friends is just as good, sometimes. I love camping with my grandchildren and my wife, but for that I prefer tenting in a state park with swimming and boating available.I just introduced my grandsons to backpacking last year and I believe that they will soon be my backcountry partners, they are 11 and 9. My 7 yearold granddaughter isn't ready for backcountry camping just yet but I can't wait till she is. Big crowded campgrounds are my least favorite places.

dashboardc33

My style of camping is a lot like yours. I don't care for crowded campgrounds or any "campground" for that matter. I dislike the fact that you can hear other campers talking inside their tents or around the fire. It is especially annoying when you are trying to get some sleep and all you can hear are the parties next to you.

I really enjoy camping is a discreet location where there is no-one around me. I don't mind if a few friends want to join, but if there is more than a dozen on a site, it gets a little too noisy for me.

Quinn

If the kids are with me I like campgrounds that have access to showers and bathrooms. I also like to have a commissary nearby. If I am camping on my own I like to find the most out of the way spot I can find with the hopes of not seeing another human being for awhile.

littlefire

I like camping near water, especially if I plan to be there for more than a couple nights. Then, at least I can wash off a bit and basque in the sun during the day. The beach or a lake are great spots.

ppine

Forester
Dino,
Yes. My point is that it is a mistake to get haughty about one's style of camping and maybe looking down on someone else's style of fun. Not only that, but few people go on trips of more than about a week or 10 days. People that travel long and far, appreciate the amenities like hook-ups. If I lived in my trailer for more than a month I would put a TV in it. Going out there will always be important. Sometime's coming back after a long trip is just as good. I know some people will not get this post.

I used to be a buckskinner and hung around a lot with primitive types. We used to hear a lot of "I was born 150 years too late." "I want to live in cabin at the end of God's creation." "Talk comes cheap from a padded bar stool." P. Zarski

Many people in modern society have a strong need to be in the backcountry, but most of them start to miss ice, the news, and a shower after about 5-8 days.

beckya

Mostly with an RV but going to Lake Tahoe in a few months and we will be roughing it. Oh, and got to bring the dogs.

ppine

Forester
Beckya,
I live 45 minutes from the Lake and rarely go there because of the crowds and rude urban people from the Coast that go there. Even the wilderness area is crowded. You will hard pressed to rough it. I usually go up there to see friends at their homes or maybe an outdoor concert once a year. Being on the water is nice when the wind isn't blowing. Rent bikes and ride along the Truckee River below Fanny Bridge. The Flume Trail is one of the great mtn bike rides in the world. Or try hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail. Even the commercial boat rides are great fun- The large catamaran "Wind Song"? is greatfor the sunset booze cruise.

Cappy

Camping for us is most often a means to fish an area too far from home. We have stayed in some pretty lame camp grounds for the waterways they are on. We also use our lil 18 ft ultra lite camper for road trips. It's way cheaper and more convienent than hotels.Camping for us is more an attitude than an activity, shoots we do some of our favorite camping activities in da back yard:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

DMan

We like to camp in spots that are somewhat private. I don't want to listen to what the guy beside me is talking about. Some of the most enjoyable camping for us has been when we're able to camp right near the water, watch the sunset and listen to the loons.