How do you pick your camping spots?

ultimatesurvivor

I tend to pick something that interests me after some research, I do not like wasting 2-3 days in a random place that has nothing interesting and bad scenery because I wanted to be spontaneous.
How about you spontaneous or meticulous planer?

Gracy

Lately we've been just going off of other peoples recommendations and then looking into whatever place it is and booking.

staime

My biggest peeve is going to a place where someone recommends only to find out what they thought was great scenery is no longer there. I have came across this three times already and each time I get a little more to the point of just avoiding any of that "Been anywhere nice" kinda attitude.

Jimbo

I think I'm somewhere in between. I'm meticulous when it comes to my first aid pack, but everything else is already kind of picked out, and I don't have to put much thought into it.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I will generally choose an area to explore and then find a suitable camp spot when I get to that area. I always either mark the good spots on a map or enter the coordinates into my GPS receiver so I can return at a later date if I want to. If I am Jeepin' it sometimes I can get coordinates from others who have been there before me.

Wendolyn

There are times when the best places found are those you were not even aware you were looking for. We did a mini trip about a week ago on someones property that has a ton of wooden land, his family has had the land for decades now and I guess they forgot there was a mini lake from a quick stream on it. Guess who went swimming on a lovely hot day? :)

Michael

I walk through the woods, see a spot and think, "That looks nice, over there." Then I circle the area for a bit to pick the perfect spot. Then I camp.

I'm not all that interested in camping in camp grounds. I'd prefer to be out in the woods and away from crowds of people.

jdoc260

I hate the 'camp grounds" where your neighbor is 10 feet from you. You may as well camp downtown in the middle of the street. I like to camp in the national forests mostly. I've got one favorite spot in Warwoman National Park that has only about 25 spots in the hundreds of acres. Granted, there are several other camping locations in the park, I prefer the one up an old logging road. It is operated by the USFS

lbean

I like trying new campgrounds. Once I try enough out then I can chose one that felt right and that offered the privacy I want. I do not like camping in places that have no or young trees.

BigBear

A friend of mine goes camping quite often and explores new places. He knows me and my family, what our likes and dislikes are as far as camping and often will recommend a good new site if he finds one. So far he hasn't sterrred me wrong.