How long are your day hikes?

woodsman

I usually clock in as many daylight hours as possible. This means heading out at dawn, which is a very annoying habit according to my girlfriend :).

Gondor

My day hikes are all day long except when I'm going with my wife and other people that like shorter walks. It also depends on the terrain. If we're conquering a mountain than the hike is shorter.

Grandpa

I like starting early as well. Beat the heat kind of thing as well as early morning animals out and about. Duration depends on the destination or the reason for the trip. My 9 year old granddaughter loves hiking with grandpa and we are usually out 4-5 hours but her older cousins make me work hard with treks lasting 10-14 hours.

ponderosa

With my kids, up to 5 miles or so. With just my husband, up to 8-10 miles (he is certainly fit enough to hike further, but he kind of gets bored with the whole thing after a while). With my dad or brother, or by myself, up to 16 miles.

Bojib

Right now mine are relatively short when compared with others.

I got a big ol belly to work off though. My hikes are at least getting a bit longer.

I started off with a mile being pretty tough. Now I'm just getting warmed up at that point.

Judy Ann

Not far or long enough! My old dog is 14 so we are taking it easy so far this year 2-4 miles a couple of times a day with a nap for her (just her) ;-) in the middle of the day!

IndianaHiker

I very rarely start at the crack of dawn. Why? I don't like getting up that early. Every Sunday I lead a group of 15 to 20 hikers and we typically start at 10:00 and do between 7 and 10 miles. If I am out with my more experienced friends we start at 9 to 10 and typically do 10 to 15 miles. Yes in the winter this often means that we are hiking at night, However we all enjoy this and would rather finish after dark then get up that early.

TakeAHike

I am not a crack of dawn hiker either, unless I am trying to catch the sunrise. I will walk all day though until the sun sets. We took a longer day hike at some falls a few hours from here and it was awesome. We even took a break to enjoy playing in the falls for a bit.

ppine

Forester
All day but usually less than 10 miles in the mountains.

Long enough to get tired, but not too long to be in darkness.

Last edited:

Dannytoo

I don't hike long distances, 5 to 8 miles it really depends on the elevation changes. We had a nice day yesterday so I took the opertunty and went to Dinosaur Valley State park,it has some great hiking trails, and hiked 6+ miles in about 4.5 hours. It really felt great to be out.

ppine

Forester
Indiana,
I agree with you. I used to climb Mt. Rose every year but it is about 12 1/2 with lots of elevation gain. I hate having my calves in knots and sore joints. My dog is slowing down also at 15 1/2 yo. I could carry her if I have to.

When we were younger, 15 miles was no big deal and 20 or more was possible, but not now. My longest day with a pack was 26 miles, but that was in about 1963.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
Most of our hikes are in the 4-12 mile range. I find that once I get to about the 12 mile mark the fun stops and it becomes more of a chore.

We like to take our time. If we find a nice view, waterfall or quiet spot in the forest we've been known to lay down and read or nap for an hour or two. So even a four or five mile hike can take us at least a half a day.

EarleD

Right now mine are relatively short when compared with others.

I got a big ol belly to work off though. My hikes are at least getting a bit longer.

I started off with a mile being pretty tough. Now I'm just getting warmed up at that point.
I hear ya. Im a 260lb guy who wants to get to 225 or so. I used to hike a lot but that was about 50lbs ago. Getting ready to start again. Gonna try a 2-3 mile hike tomorrow, for my first in a long time.

Hikenhunter

Most of our hikes are in the 4-12 mile range. I find that once I get to about the 12 mile mark the fun stops and it becomes more of a chore.

We like to take our time. If we find a nice view, waterfall or quiet spot in the forest we've been known to lay down and read or nap for an hour or two. So even a four or five mile hike can take us at least a half a day.
I try to keep them under 10 miles. Alot depends on the terrain and my partners (if any) for the hike. I like to meander stop and take a break whenever I want to. If I'm alone I carry a small hammock and I have been known to take naps at the drop of a hat if I'm in the right place. For this reason when I hike alone I very often keep it under 6 miles.

ponderosa

Yeah, there's nothing as pleasant as a nap in a quiet spot in the woods.

It isn't that I necessarily prefer to hike 15 miles in a day (although sometimes that hiking until you're exhausted feeling is pretty great), but there are so many really beautiful places that are more than 5 or 10 miles from the trailhead. It's very hard for me to get away for overnight backpacking trips these days, but long day hikes are possible...so that's what I do.

mccallum

Well I plan for about one or two hours (two to five miles) but had one that went three to four! Yeah; that was not the plan had my wife and son with (he was nine or ten at the time and still does not really want to go hiking with me!!!). Also had my bush dog but Bear loved it. The three humans refer to it as the hike from H##%. If I am going solo and have no where to be I might do the three plus thing up to say eight miles. With training I would do a 6 to 8 hour trek (10 to 20).

aksoutherland

My last hike (yesterday) was 15 miles. It was brutal, my goal was 12 which would have been a personal record, but the traol markers weren't correct, and what should have been 12.7 ended up being 15.2, but I'm proud I finished it. :D